Pan gasket?

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Does anyone make a new style pan gasket for a 727? I have no luck keeping the cork ones from seeping all the time.

I hadn't thought of putting silicone on my pan gasket for my 904. I replaced the gasket twice with rubber ones and they always squished out and leaked no matter how I torqued them. Hopefully that's the only place where it's leaking from.

Check your pan rails too. alot of times the gasket spits out because of low spots between the bolt holes not putting enough pressure on the gasket.

You can get a new style gasket from any dodge dealer.
The A518 from the Dodge pickups and vans use the same pattern gasket as the 727. They wont crush out like cork and they are claiming them to be reusable.
Maybe Autozone, Oreilly and Checker type stores will have them.
I got mine right from Dodge.

Charger70- I've used one of these before when I last did my 98 Dakota, I wasn't sure if it was the same but it's the style I was hopeing was available because I've never seen one leak.

The key is a flat mating surface. The pans take a beating due to location. Invest a few miutes in tweaking the pan flange to any flat surface handy.
Many front wheel drive units have the pan turned up sideways and they dont leak because they dont get warped. Then cv joints explode and rip those wide open. LOL Good luck

Its a mopar deep pan and not very old so not overly worried it's bent

Never take anything for granted. If it was improperly torqued down the very first time it was installed it could be bent. I've seen it happen many times. Most guys don't even use a torque wrench which should allways be used on a delicate item like this. What you've described happening is typical of non flush mating surfaces. I have used many cork gaskets and never once had a problem because I take the time to make sure the pan flange is flat and there are no buggered spots on the trans case. I mainly use the cork gaskets cause they don't seep as bad as the rubber ones do. Although I will say the new style like used on the A518's is a very good gasket. Just more expensive.

-
Back