Parking brake cable retainers & grommets?

-

BuzzardBoys68

Reaction score
Have just gotten replacement cables for my Cuda and am now looking at all the retainers and grommets. The YearOne catalog has a firewall grommet listed, but the thing is 21 bucks! Is there an alternative? Also, does anyone know exactly what the set up is supposed to be where the front cable passes through the frame (under driver's door area)? My original stuff is gone, and the new cable has no attachment hardware or anything. The rears have retaining clips and seem pretty straightforward, but I'm a bit confounded by the front. I really don't want to jerry-rig it. THANKS!

I've found an acceptable (to me) replacement grommet for the firewall to protect the parking brake cable. It's a Dorman rubber products #42064 PCV grommet, sold at Advance Auto Parts under the "HELP!" product line. Almost a perfect fit, and doesn't look too bad either. Really had to work to get it over the end of the outer case shield (sprayed the hell out of it with silicone spray lube, then worked it around carefully like putting a tire on a rim...) Hope maybe somebody else finds this an adequate solution. For $2.00 instead of $21.00, it works for me!

Funny thing about my car. It looks as though the parking brake is only setup to go to the left rear brake. Is it the same with your 68?
Also, where did you buy your cable and how did you route it? Seems as though my cable has been cut around the firewall area. From the handle to the brakes themselfs, how many cables are there?
Do you know id it's possible to setup the parking brake to the front disc brakes, maybe instead of using a line lock for racing?

The frame is your cable stop and when you get tension on the cable (at the equalizer), that`s all you`ll need. Year One sometimes make me laugh, I saw the two screws that hold the fender tag down for $4.00 and some change. How do they sleep at night?

-
Back