Parking Brake Cable Routing

-

olddman

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dodge Dart GT that I have been working on and driving for about 18 years now. Last year it began to make a noise that sounded like metal on metal when I would back it up for the first time that I would take it out for a drive. Now it would not make a noise every time which made it a bit harder to locate. Looked and looked for the source of the noise, pulled the brakes down but couldn't find anything wrong. Even had the drums turned and installed new brake shoes and hardware. Even replace the rear axle bearings. Still the noise would happen when I would back up.

Well, I think that I have found out what has been causing the noise, and if it had been a snake, it would have bit me. While greasing the u-joints the other day, I happened to look up and see where the parking brake cable was rubbing on the drive shaft. Why it had been quiet all these years is beyond me. Anyhow from what I can tell the guy who owned the car before me installed the brake cable in such a way that the cable to the right rear wheel goes under the drive shaft.

After searching the internet, looking at a bunch of diagrams and finally looking at the service manual it looks like the cable is supposed to run along the frame and then split off with two cables to the rear wheels near the rear end. I was wondering if anyone has some pictures of how the cable runs on their car. Diagrams help, but some pictures would really help. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Have found a complete parking brake kit at Inline tube for $119.00.

Nothing? Really?

Ok I’m going to second the OPs request. I’ve similar issues…

81147882-CC37-422D-8444-DABC48D85436.jpeg

08159CE2-C673-4483-BD24-9E1A7F6ED71A.jpeg
The emergency brake will hold the car but it looks like I’ve got a lot of extra cable going to the right side. What is supposed to happen at the junction? What was that bracket bolted to? Could someone please post what this is supposed to look like? Thanks in advance!!

Emergency brake cable routing

There is some discussion in the attached about early A e-brake cable and crossing under the driveshaft. My manual shows both configurations (I'm 1968). I think my trouble is with the adjustment of the "cable equalizer". i am not seeing any guidance in here about adjusting the slack but the kinks in my cable seems to show that the excess cable may be looped around this "equalizer". Or it was erroneously in the past and now is hanging slack.

Again some guidance from other members appreciated.

thanks

Nothing? Really?

Ok I’m going to second the OPs request. I’ve similar issues…

View attachment 1716138467

View attachment 1716138468
The emergency brake will hold the car but it looks like I’ve got a lot of extra cable going to the right side. What is supposed to happen at the junction? What was that bracket bolted to? Could someone please post what this is supposed to look like? Thanks in advance!!
Are those the stock cables? There's got to be a reason why the passenger side cable is so much longer thank it should be, right? Or maybe the Driver's side cable is too short for some reason? Are they a matching set?

Are those the stock cables? There's got to be a reason why the passenger side cable is so much longer thank it should be, right? Or maybe the Driver's side cable is too short for some reason? Are they a matching set?
these predate my relationship with orange car, but I can firmly attest that they are not a set!!

30E5EC71-0FDF-418D-8825-A4017CCD02F5.jpeg

yeah I’ll look into replacement as a set.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Mine wasn’t quite the same issue!

I have this vision of that cable getting snagged on something in the road...

-
Back