Parking Brake Questions

-

69valiant21

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to connect my frame rails. Parking brake cable is in the way. I've never used them nor see a reason to with an auto. Opinions against removing them?

Looks like I'll have to take the whole brake assembly apart to remove the cables. Anyone know of a way to avoid that?

Depending on frame ties. My Demon has home made ties. I kept the park brake system and it works with the frame ties. I’ve had a few instances in my life where I’ve used the park brakes due to brake issues. Brakes and tires are two areas I want to be top notch. I use the park brake every time my car is parked and it is an automatic.

Some people have used steel pipe inserted though the frames ties at an angle so the front cable can pass through.

On a '69, you can disconnect the front cable from the tension saddle bracket & then run it through your newly installed tube & hook it back up.

No need to remove anything from that saddle back.

The E-brake can be an awesome thing to have if your hydraulics fail.......

It's an EMRGENCY brake.
It's the "secondary mechanical" brake most Motor Vehicle Acts have as a requirement to be deemed road-worthy.
It became a "Park" brake when they couldn't fit the word "emergency" o n the foot brake pedal.
We're it a "park" brake, it would hold in "reverse", which these cars don't, unless cranked on.
Ever back outta a driveway or similar, and put it in "Drive", and not go anywhere cuz the E brake was on ? ?
Cheers . lol
A true Park brake is usually a similar device to the drum brake on the back of the trans, that locks the driveshaft, found on larger trucks, motorhomes, etc.

If you are using sq/rect tube, I just direct it over the connector tube, and re-attach as before.

Last edited:
Hi Op.
You didn't mention style of connector.
If using tube, depending on the size, we have had to move the E-brake cable exit,- outward on the chassis, drilling similar sized holes as stock, then feed the cable thru the new holes, over the connector tube, and connect as stock.
I just went and checked one of ours.
Cheers.

Already got them out. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Only had to take one shoe off and was able to get the brackets out and the spring latch out of the backing plate.

-
Back