Parking Brake

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
My parking brake is currently not hooked up, so I was checking it out this weekend and it seems I am missing a cable.

This is what I have:

The parking brake handle and cable running down the frame to the equalizer. On the 8.75 rear axle I have both cables, but the passenger side cable will not reach the equalizer by a fair amount. The driver side is plenty long.

Is there another cable that I am missing?

Thanks!

Sounds like you need a longer passenger side cable or your cables are swapped for some reason. Other than that your good to go.

Sounds like a schematic from the service manual would do wonders here!! Abodyjoe is always good for a page like that, maybe he will chime in! Better include your make, model and year here though!! Geof

Let's start by announcing whut we are working on

1970 Studebaker Lark?

1923 Farmall Regular?

Savoia-Marchette SM.79?

sm79-20a.jpg

N, ya, 'bout AbodyJoe 'n those factory service manuals..........

Download one 'er two here........

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

I assumed it was a 1970 duster in plum crazy....so if it is then I may be right.

If not then I just made an a out of u n me:D

71 and back have a long left rear cable. 72 and up have and intermediate cable. The way to tell the difference is 71 and back both rear cable mounts are on the left side of the car. 72 and up they are each on opposite sides. left and right.

Cables are also a different length. 10 inch brakes take a longer cable then 9 inch.

I have both the long and short rear cables for a 68-70 with 8 3/4 for 10 in drum brakes in very nice used condition already cleaned and work freely. I also may have the front cable which comes from the handle to the bracket on the drivers side rear frame rail but need to know what model and year as there are different ones for the front. If you need the front for a Dart i have an excellent used one if you have a Duster i would have to check. PM me

This is what I have:

The parking brake handle and cable running down the frame to the equalizer. On the 8.75 rear axle I have both cables, but the passenger side cable will not reach the equalizer by a fair amount. The driver side is plenty long.

Your info is vague at best. Like Del asked, what car, year, etc. Did the car come with the 8 3/4 or a 7 1/4 and you swapped.

And exactly what is a "fair amount"?

Your info is vague at best. Like Del asked, what car, year, etc. Did the car come with the 8 3/4 or a 7 1/4 and you swapped.

And exactly what is a "fair amount"?
:cheers::cheers: after this guy gets lined out w/ what he needs, I`ve got my rear cables on the dana switch, spliced and run up to the original location on the drver side of the frame(comb. of stock and new that came w/ the dana). I need the front cable and intermidiate ,if there is one on a 68 fastback. have the pul handle assembly. thanks for any info , or need the parts. --bob

I have all the various (years) brake cables in stock -- and lengths on them
all........
Call me -- Craig -- 516- 485 - 1935.... New York....

Can give you the lengths and you can confirm whether they are correct
or not...............

Yikes!!!

Sorry I forgot to mention year and make. Its a 70 Dart, but it originally came with a 7 1/4. The 8 3/4 was swapped in from another A-body, but I don't know what year it came out of.

I have the factory service manual, but the diagrams are really only good for routing, not really the different cables.

The passenger side cable will barely reach to the center section. They are 10" drum brakes in rear.

Sorry I don't know the exact measurement. I'd say its short of the equalizer by at least a foot if not more.

Gotcha. When I swapped out the 7 1/4 for the 8 3/4 I used the original cables that were on the car.

I did encounter one issue, the cable would not hook up in the drum assembly on the larger brakes. All I needed to do was back off the adjustment a bit and everything hooked right up. Then I readjusted the cable under the car.

Did you already remove the old cables?

Gotcha. When I swapped out the 7 1/4 for the 8 3/4 I used the original cables that were on the car.

I did encounter one issue, the cable would not hook up in the drum assembly on the larger brakes. All I needed to do was back off the adjustment a bit and everything hooked right up. Then I readjusted the cable under the car.

Did you already remove the old cables?

Problem is, I didn't swap the rear, it was done l by the PO. O am pretty sure they took the 7 1/4 rear end out with the drum cables and swapped on the 8.75 with its original drum cables. Maybe the 8.75 came out of a different year, one that needed an intermediate cable. That would make sense I guess.

Sorry I don't know the exact measurement. I'd say its short of the equalizer by at least a foot if not more.

What someone needs is the interconnecting cable length. Make sure the lever is released, etc, and measure the LENGTH of the cable needed. Heck if you need to, "rig" it with wire so you can measure it.

The ends are not critical. Even in the cowtown of Spokane, there's a place that makes up various cables

In fact, it might "look like hell," but to get you going, you could buy some "hardware store" wire rope and clips and just make one up. Loop over the connector hardware

"Don't saddle a dead horse" when using these

fig0316.jpg

-
Back