Parking / Emergency Brake cables

-

DragginMAster

Reaction score
Having moved recently to PA I am on the cusp of having my 68 Dart registered and sent through the rigorous vehicle inspection process.

The E brake / parking brake is the only thing left that I think will give me a failure, it is not totally shot mind you, but it aint that great either. The passenger side cable is frozen and I cannot adjust the front cable due to the bolt being frozen by rust.

The factory service manual is very helpful with the brakes, but it merely glances over a part of the process that has me baffled.

Removal of the cable.

I think I can compress the flanges on the end that attaches to the actual brake shoes bu using a hose clamp.

but the end that attaches to the car right before it meets the equalizer bar I can not quite figure out how to disconnect....

anyone have any experience in this?

Where you mention using a hose clamp I use a boxed end wrench ( 9/16" 12 point I think) The other place you mention is the bracket on frame rail ? If so there are horseshoe retainer clips on the forward side kinda like those on front fluid lines. To get front cable out of the eyelet piece on the floor that adjust nut has to go. Split the nut with a die grinder or hacksaw.

Im think i may have the same problem. I cant figure out how to get the e-brake section off that passes through the trans/torsion bar support. Looks like there may be a little key or pin, but i just cant get it out.

. To get front cable out of the eyelet piece on the floor that adjust nut has to go. Split the nut with a die grinder or hacksaw.

I didn't cut anything to get mine out. I'll have to go look at it to remember exactly how it came out.

Pa insp isn't that bad. The car has to be safe is the main thing. Did you find someplace to take it? Here's a tidbit for you, your not supposed to drive the car to the inspection station if it's not inspected and has a PA tag, you can get busted for it.

Dave

I didn't cut anything to get mine out. I'll have to go look at it to remember exactly how it came out.

Pa insp isn't that bad. The car has to be safe is the main thing. Did you find someplace to take it? Here's a tidbit for you, your not supposed to drive the car to the inspection station if it's not inspected and has a PA tag, you can get busted for it.

Dave

you cant get it inspected without tags though. placing a PA inspection sticker on a non PA registered car will get the inspector in trouble.

I found a guy, Neil's Garage in Middleburg. One of the two mechanics has a 67 notchback cuda and the other has a 68 roadrunner I think as well as a 70 dart.

they know my car without knowing my car. the fish is reprted to do 11 second quarters with its 340.

Hi bro, it's me, you can't get away. how's the e-brake coming along?

Man that sounds almost dumb enough to be a NJ law in the old days

Dave

-
Back