part name??

-

lebdog74

Reaction score
i ran into an old mechanic at the parts store and was telling him my starting issues. he told me to check ignition control box and a part in the distributor but i forgot the parts name. i keep thinking the regulator or reducer but i'm pretty sure thats not right. he said to take the distirbutor out and it was a small part that could be replaced. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Heres my earlier thread: I have a 74 Plymouth Duster 318. I can't get it to start. Had problems all last summer not wanting to start when it was hot. Then towrds the end of fall went to start it and it would just turn over but not fire. thought it was an extension of summer problems and not having a heated garage i gave up until today. thought it was a carb problem but it is getting fuel. so i checked a spark plug and no spark. distributer cap and rotor looked good so i checked the coil. the connections on coil are getting juice but no spark at the end of the coil wire. swapped coil with another one that worked last time it was used still nothing. so I tried another ballast and still nothing. could the ignition box be bad? anyway to test it? any other ideas? any help appreciated. thanks

The mystery part is call ignition pickup, stator, or magnetic pickup. Ignition box and pickup are both under $20.00, doesn't hurt to have a spare. The magnetic pickup is set at .014 to .019" from the stator preferbly with a brass feeler gauge.
John

Yeah-.008 is the majic number.

I remembered .008" but my 70 service maual says .014 to .019", forgot '70 was points, sorry!
John

-
Back