Parts and "Make and Offer" deals?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I am a 4x4 guy and I am getting ready to build a new Jeep for winter. On a Jeep board I found a guy that is selling some left over parts from his build.

He is selling some good used parts for a very reasonable prices. In my opinion, the parts that he is selling could be raised 25% and still sell.

He also has a new L/S for the front for sale. New it costs over $500 at today's prices.

He is giving me the "make an offer" statement regarding the front L/S and every thing else.

I know that he is selling other peices for very good prices.

When I sell, I usually include a cushion and will take less on many things.

I don't want to low-ball, but at the same time I don't want to pay $350 for something that he would take $250 for.

How do you guys deal with the the make an offer crowd?

Thanks as always, ROB

Make an offer means low-ball to me. Anytime someone says "Make an offer" I'll tell them "$1". Hell, the seller has to give you an idea of what he wants. I think it's rude for a seller to make you play guessing games.

I don't want to offend, but............

For all I know, the guy is one of those people who is not interested in "getting out what I have into it" kinds of guys.

So he'd happily take $150 to see it gone.

I may just tell him that I need a ballpark figure to shoot from, or it isn't going to work right now.

Other thoughts or ideas?

ROB

Screw'em, offend him, maybe he needs to be offended.

When Im at a swapmeet I try to get it as low as I can. If the guy says "make me an offer" I will say 5 cents that gets them to say what they really want for it and then we go from there. If I am selling and I tell someone to "make me an offer" and they say "well I dont want to offend you" I tell them to offend me because they may just take the part home. I try to never pay full asking price for anything at a swapmeet, that is what makes them fun.

He said make an offer.
Make an offer thats a good deal for you and a fair deal for him.
Or do what I do and tell him I can't be a seller and a buyer to,
Press him for a starting price if he won't commit, offer
him junk price as a start, you both know its worth at least that much.
It's only has value if you need it.

Sometimes you luck out and find someone who will sell the item only for what is worth to them, instead of trying to get an arm and a leg for it.

I have a buddy that says that to people because he wants them to over-price the item so he can make even more money off of them. I tell him its BS because he knows what he wants for it. He says its business, but in a hobby like this I hate to see guys get priced out and this is the kind of stuff that does it to them.

I sent him an email and decided to put the ball back in his court.

I will keep you all informed.

It is something to remember when selling something.

I try and price things close to what I need to get.

I like a bit of wiggle room though.

Nothing like this though.

ROB

Rob, offer him $75, if he takes it you got a steal! And you dont have to feel bad about it because your not forcing him to sell it or take your money. If he says no, then he says no, big deal. Then he'll tell you about what he wants for it.

-
Back