Parts needed to convert 999 to non lockup

-

djaponi3

Reaction score
Lots of confusion on using my 999 trans for a street/strip car .its a 999 out of a 1988 Dakota 3.9 ,Looking to use it behind a healthy 5.2 Magnum ,I don’t want lockup which this trans has.Whats needed to put a non lockup converter in this trans .

Lots of confusion on using my 999 trans for a street/strip car .its a 999 out of a 1988 Dakota 3.9 ,Looking to use it behind a healthy 5.2 Magnum ,I don’t want lockup which this trans has.Whats needed to put a non lockup converter in this trans .

A different transmission. If you don't want lock up, don't even bother with that 1988 unit. I've said this many times and 360duster knows - trying to make a 1978-up lock-up unit into a non lockup trans. is really difficult if not impossible because of the intricacies of particular parts involved and actual availability of said parts.

Unless you are over 600 hp (which I doubt with a 318 but hey, what do I know) or if the truck is real heavy, any garden-variety 904 variant should be fine as long as you build it with good parts. There are thin clutch/steel sets that you can get for more holding power. Billet spring pack and servos, 4.2 lever, good bands and struts, good valve body, done. Either A&A or Cope Racing should carry all this stuff.

I run a 84 Diplomat lockup tranny with a Turbo Action 10" converter. Converter has no clutch. Made a brass plug to block converter circuit in the valve body and installed a TF2 shift kit. Trans has low gear set and 5 clutch up front, works great with my 400hp +-50 sbm.

A different transmission. If you don't want lock up, don't even bother with that 1988 unit. I've said this many times and 360duster knows - trying to make a 1978-up lock-up unit into a non lockup trans. is really difficult if not impossible because of the intricacies of particular parts involved and actual availability of said parts.

Unless you are over 600 hp (which I doubt with a 318 but hey, what do I know) or if the truck is real heavy, any garden-variety 904 variant should be fine as long as you build it with good parts. There are thin clutch/steel sets that you can get for more holding power. Billet spring pack and servos, 4.2 lever, good bands and struts, good valve body, done. Either A&A or Cope Racing should carry all this stuff.
The 999 seems to have all the goodies from what I’ve read like wider bands more clutches better planetaries .What 904 should I look for as far as years

I run a 84 Diplomat lockup tranny with a Turbo Action 10" converter. Converter has no clutch. Made a brass plug to block converter circuit in the valve body and installed a TF2 shift kit. Trans has low gear set and 5 clutch up front, works great with my 400hp +-50 sbm.
Is that a specialty converter your running
Why not run lockup? Lack of converter options?
Why not run lockup? Lack of converter options?
Yes lack of converter options

Is that a specialty converter your running

Yes lack of converter options

I built my car as a street/strip and did not want a locking converter. I drive 50 miles to the track, run the crap out of the car, and return home. The turbo Action 10" S800 is a tight performance converter. You can get it with 26 spline count to fit a lockup input shaft. Call and talk with Paul Forte. Any good converter can set you up.

I built my car as a street/strip and did not want a locking converter. I drive 50 miles to the track, run the crap out of the car, and return home. The turbo Action 10" S800 is a tight performance converter. You can get it with 26 spline count to fit a lockup input shaft. Call and talk with Paul Forte. Any good converter can set you up.
Is Paul Forte from Turbo Action for Contacting ?

Paul Forte is the owner of Turbo Action. Nice guy, he will help you. So will Rick Allison or one of his guys from A&A or John Cope. Or Lenny from Ultimate or Dynamic Converters in Delaware or....

Read through some of these posts on Moparts, might give a clearer understanding. Or not.

converter / lockup converter | Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech | Moparts Forums

904 Lockup Trans Question | Moparts Question and Answer | Moparts Forums

Lock Up Torque Converter??? | Moparts Question and Answer | Moparts Forums

I want to stick with the trans from my 1988 3.9 Dakota .My game plan would be the custom non lockup converter a good rebuild my only question is the transgo tf3 kit .I want full manual control however Transgo site says tf3 Not for lockup transmissions ! Any input ?

I want to stick with the trans from my 1988 3.9 Dakota .My game plan would be the custom non lockup converter a good rebuild my only question is the transgo tf3 kit .I want full manual control however Transgo site says tf3 Not for lockup transmissions ! Any input ?
And I Don’t Mean to Shrug Off Any Info You Have All Provided Me .I Am Grateful for All of Your Input the 998/999 Trans Internals However Have Me Intrigued and Believing This as the Best Available 904 Variant !!!

And I Don’t Mean to Shrug Off Any Info You Have All Provided Me .I Am Grateful for All of Your Input the 998/999 Trans Internals However Have Me Intrigued and Believing This as the Best Available 904 Variant !!!
Call Transgo tech line. When I put a TF2 in mine they answered a few questions I had.

-
Back