Passed By My Own Tire

-
thanks, our customers like us (me and my dad)..some come to the shop with coffee and hang out all morning. go out to eat and run into them and they pay for my meal....our diesel truck wouldn't start in the winter and a customer let me borrow his almost new truck for like 2 weeks.

I'm glad you're ok and noone was hurt. I think they forgot the lugs altogether. So what did the dealer have to say?

Glad nobody was hurt!
That brought back memories of the early '70s when I borrowed my parents VW-based street buggy. I was driving back to my apartment and all of a sudden the left rear hits the ground just as the tire passes me rolling down the street.
I pull over to the curb, jump out and chase the tire down the street. These were big wide tires on white steel rims with baby moon hubcaps. As I catch up to the tire I can hear all five wheel bolts (not lug nuts) rattling around inside the hubcap.
It was funny afterwards!

The dealer was very apologetic yesterday. However today I havent heard a peek out of him as to what their intentions are.

On a 65 Barracuda that I had 3 years ago, I finally saved up enough to buy some BFG's to mount on the Cragar SS's that I had saved for for a long time. I had the tires mounted, brought them home and installed them my self. All lugs were properly torqued with a quality torque wrench. On my first trip on the interstate on my way to work the next day, at 65 mph in 4 lanes of traffic, the right front wheel gave a quick vibration, the car dropped to the drum, and my new tire and wheel shot ahead, veered over the same three lanes that I had to cross to reach the emergency lane (not much traction from a drum skidding on the concrete interstate!) I miraculously stopped on the emergency lane right at a 50 foot ravine. I know how deep it was because I had to trek down there 1/2 mile ahead to retrieve my wheel. When I got to my car, there were three people I know including my brother who lives 50 miles away but sometimes crosses paths with me on our commute to work. Needless to say I was shakin' in my boots!

-
Back