Passenger HP Manifold fitting?

-

unclepunchy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

73 Duster, 4 spd with a 383.

Installing B body HP manifolds. Driver side goes in fine with steering column out but the passenger side wheel well is way close and I cant squeeze it in. I might be able to get a little more room if I put a Jack under the passenger side of the engine or am I going to have to pound the fender wall back a bit? Any tricks you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

C340416F-58E8-4A3E-9314-4DDB6F9A19FC.jpeg

3491A228-D926-4D31-8CC2-105B0F448BDE.jpeg

It should fit since the manifold isn’t much different than the stock big block manifold. Are you sure that your motor is positioned correctly? That’s odd because I thought that it’s the driver’s side that’s usually the problem.

That’s what I thought too. I kept the motor mounts loose in case I needed to tweak things so maybe I just need to Jack up the passenger side to shift it and then tighten?

You have something way off with the engine mounts, I believe. The passenger's side will literally fall into place. In fact, I've had one fall out on the ground. lol

I always put the passenger side manifold on before I put the engine in the car, the drivers side goes in afterwards, or I have to put it in from the bottom before the torsion bars go in...

From the picture of the factory big block compared to yours, you don't look to far off maybe 1/8-1/4 inch too far to pass side

Okay, so I hunted around and I think my power steering box is chanting the engine over slightly. It is mashed right into the drivers side engine mount. Can I take out the unit and clearance it a bit with the die grinder or are most guys going manual when they go Big block?

Okay, so I hunted around and I think my power steering box is chanting the engine over slightly. It is mashed right into the drivers side engine mount. Can I take out the unit and clearance it a bit with the die grinder or are most guys going manual when they go Big block?
You can do power steering but manual is much better for clearance.

Mine has factory power steering. Schumacher mounts were not made for power steering...

101_1411.JPG

Have you put a level on the intake to see what, if any angles you have?

Yup, it’s definitely canted now that I am paying attention. Going to yank out the power steering box and see what happens. Will let you guys know.

I put a 383 in my Dart, with power steering, using the Schumacher mounts. I used their shorty headers, not manifolds though.

You need to grind the k-frame and not the steering box. I’m surprised that the instructions for the motor mounts didn’t mention this.

You may have the mounts turned 90 degrees or even 180.That will bring the motor forward about 2 inches. Made that mistake myself. Also did it come with the shim pack? I used the shims to level it once it was in. Do you have a picture of the drivers side?

DSC00415.JPG

DSC00416.JPG

I got it figured out. I had to take some material off the power steering box and then Jack the passenger side up/over slightly to fit the manifolds on. I had forgot to tighten down the mounts at first so everything was loose.

Yah see, the motor mounts do move the engine around. I may have missed it, but no one ever mentions it, well I have, just thought that no one believed me. Seem like it's never mentioned when problems like this pop up.
Good call!

-
Back