Passon Performance Overdrive

-

BRMiller

Reaction score
Checked out the Passon website today and noticed they have an overdrive A833 n sale for $750. Has anyone swapped one of these in and what difference did it make? I'm thinking it would really bring my rpm down in my 70 Duster340 at cruise and probably save some gas.

I checked the website and it appears to be a stock rebuilt 4 speed overdrive. Check out the specs on their "hemi" 4 speed overdrive for the differences.

I took a second look at that too for my upcoming project. That's almost a $4k difference for one more gear in their 5 speed. Yes, I realize that there's a lot of differences between the two other than one gear and aluminum, but rather tempting just to get something going when my time comes. Might be the difference between a bone yard late 5.7 and a new 6.4 hemi.

They have an upgrade cluster gear set for the 833 for $1895 which has a .8 overdrive 18 spline input and the first and second gear ratios are not as low (numerically high) as the stock overdrive trans.

I wish they would make a version with more overdrive in 4th .7 would be great.

Does the stock overdrive have any weaknesses? I wouldn't be racing it but my 340 is a little more than mildly built.

I checked the Passon site and on their home page it states the sale is only on the 23 spline OD gearset and not their 18 spline kit.

The weakness of the stock OD transmission can be found on the Passon site also if you read about their 18 spline OD transmission kit.

Check it out

http://www.passonperformance.com/

Ive vot a 360 n od 4 speed with 3.91 posi in my 66 dart n in my 74 d100 behind a 318...works really well..only trouble ive had is in my truck( loading it like semi n driving it like a Porsche doesnt help)is going from waco texas to here in Missouri with a truck on trailer n some engines in back about 30 miles from home trans locked in 4th...boy that sucked...but it was a hi mileage trans n figured running in overdrive is not running straight thru main shaft , probably took out a bearing..

BRMiller, look into the NV3500/ax-15 swaps. Hell look into the R154/MA5/AR5 swap.

-
Back