Patch panel tips

-

iw378

Reaction score
On my Valiant I have a really large dent in the drivers side quarter that involves several
body lines. Someone in the past attempted to get it out by what loos like prying and beating.
and just really made it worse. I am by no means a body man and figured it would just be easier to weld in a patch as I'm handy with the mig. Lost looking for some additional tips before I cut it open.

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0642.jpg

Tip #1: Only cut out what you absolutely need to. The smaller the patch the better. Do you really need that much of the panel?
Tip #2: Cut the patch panel a little large and trim it down slowly to fit.
Tip #3: Clean all the undercoating off the back of the panels. That crap really gets in the way while welding.

If you're good with a mig there should be no need to tell you that patience is mandatory! Spot, move, spot, move, let cool, spot etc. These are just a couple things I do when building patches. It is nice you have the proper piece as opposed to forming it by hand.

I wouldn't cut that out at all.. you're going to end up with much more work than if you just fix the area. It's not that bad at all.

I agree. Patience with a stud gun puller would be the way to go. Besides, if you replace the section of panel, you're still going to have to use body filler to make it paint perfect.

Yeah I hear you guys. But after some more thought I went ahead and got it cut out, cut the hole in the car and got it fit in after the second try.
I'll finish welding it off tomorrow.

IMG_0663.JPG

Ya done good, grasshopper!

Well I got all wrapped up for now. I plan to have the car blasted next year I just wanted to test my bodywork skills. not too bad for a temp fix
and rattle can paint. Its not perfect now but damn close. it will be when I do final bodywork

IMG_0685.JPG

-
Back