PATINA QUESTION

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am searching for a hood and found one that says it has "nice patina" on it. My plan is shiny paint (body shop will do the work). Can patina be easily removed without losing too much metal or does that depend on the patina? Is there pitting or can it be in the surface layers only? Thanks in advance for any responses, not exactly sure of the difference between rust and patina.

depends what they mean by patina.. some consider a total rusty mess patina to others its just weathered paint..

Patina is a word used by people who like rust and bad paint. It justifies not painting it and of course is cheaper.

Thanks, I'm wondering if it's easily removed? The part is fairly far away, if it's straight and can be made shiny without an extra tendency to revert back because it got to the stage of patina then I might be interested in the part.

1970 Plymouth Duster Hood

Here's the hood. I once bought a straight firebird hood with a decal on it. First hood was a fly up so gave the body man a straight rust free hood and I told him it had a decal (screaming chicken). Anyway, that hood needed way more work because of the reaction under the decal, so I'm wondering what the reaction of "patina" is. Can it be surface, should I just steer clear? I just started looking but am trying to learn something here and not buy the wrong part too. Thanks.

Patina is a word used by people who like rust and bad paint. It justifies not painting it and of course is cheaper.
Bad paint is your opinion. To me surviving paint is good paint! Not necessarily justifying anything. To each his own.
20190405_172615.jpg

Here's the hood. I once bought a straight firebird hood with a decal on it. First hood was a fly up so gave the body man a straight rust free hood and I told him it had a decal (screaming chicken). Anyway, that hood needed way more work because of the reaction under the decal, so I'm wondering what the reaction of "patina" is. Can it be surface, should I just steer clear? I just started looking but am trying to learn something here and not buy the wrong part too. Thanks.

that doesn't look bad to me.. not rusty or anything. as long as its not all dinged up it should be an easy prep and paint.

that doesn't look bad to me.. not rusty or anything. as long as its not all dinged up it should be an easy prep and paint.

That's good to hear distinguishing between the two. If patina is de-oxidizing of paint but it can be cleaned up without having more of a tendency to rust then I would take a look at this hood on my next trip South. Thanks again for your opinion of this part.

I think it's worth a look. But unfortunately the worst is going to be under the insulation where moisture is trapped. Pretty sure that owner isn't going to be real keen on you ripping into the insulation to have a good look.

Sheetmetal that isn't badly rusted but the surface is rough, can be repaired with a high hide primer and sanding it smooth. Everything depends on how deep the rust is which doesn't show in the pictures.

I'd be Leary of the hoods corners, it may have been sitting on the corner's, I've saw good hoods ruined from sitting on the corners in the dirt.

I'd be Leary of the hoods corners, it may have been sitting on the corner's, I've saw good hoods ruined from sitting on the corners in the dirt.
Patina is dumb, who wants a rusty piece of s---/junk on anything ? jmo

Patina is dumb, who wants a rusty piece of s---/junk on anything ? jmo

apparently a lot of people. hell there are even guys who specialize in taking shinny cars and painting fake patina on them.. huge market for it right now..

myself i'd feel a lot better buying a car with original paint and patina then a freshly painted car that you have no idea whats under the pain and how half assed the job may have been..

apparently a lot of people. hell there are even guys who specialize in taking shinny cars and painting fake patina on them.. huge market for it right now..

myself i'd feel a lot better buying a car with original paint and patina then a freshly painted car that you have no idea whats under the pain and how half assed the job may have been..
I don't even like it on farm tractors !

Yep! Lot's of cool people! Whenever I see shiny paint I wonder what they're hiding? Lot's of bondo I bet. It's like putting make-up on an old *****. lol
Someone woke-up grouchie.

I agree with that statement, but, try selling a car that needs all its body/paint work and 95% of the byers have no way to do it, can't do it, don't want to send it to a shop even if they had an idea of a decent shop. Then if the owner does the body /paint work, then the buyer "doesn't know" whats under the paint! but the owner did it all himself rather than spending $5-6000 at a pro shop and thus adding that to the price of said car!!!! lol
The answer to the ofiginal question is, buy the best hood you can afford. Body shops are expensive ! You can not tell what shape any hood is with just pics. They all rust to some extent where the 2 layers of metal meet, and between. The surface looks maybe good in the pic to me. Like said, how are the corners? The chance of finding perfect 40 year old metal is not high.

Patina is a word that has been abused by the flipper/gold digger. My $.02.

Muscle car for sale. Nice Patina. Engine seized. Saw one on Barrett Jackson go for 35K. $10,555 OBO. Rufus and Cletus@ Yahoos.com
th?id=OIP.p8RihvnNfI_2A5KPWsQRJQHaE8&w=235&h=160&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25&pid=1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with that statement, but, try selling a car that needs all its body/paint work and 95% of the byers have no way to do it, can't do it, don't want to send it to a shop even if they had an idea of a decent shop. Then if the owner does the body /paint work, then the buyer "doesn't know" whats under the paint! but the owner did it all himself rather than spending $5-6000 at a pro shop and thus adding that to the price of said car!!!! lol

let them buy a car with **** body and paint work and be out thousands in a few years when it starts popping allover the place.. pay up front or in the end.. the money is getting spent one way or another...

let them buy a car with **** body and paint work and be out thousands in a few years when it starts popping allover the place.. pay up front or in the end.. the money is getting spent one way or another...
It dos not matter "who" does the work, it is always only as good as the materials and workmanship that went into the job is guess is part of what I am saying. What makes it difficult for any of our A body cars that are not original 340 or BB cars is the cost of resto work and the price it will bring if ever sold. Hard to justify paying a body shop $5000 to do a 318 or slant Duster!?? If the owner pays that $$$ the first thing the wife might ask is " what is this car worth after all thse $ spent"?? lol But, I agree, bad paint work that falls off is bad economics!!
I know, it is a hobby!

Patina is one of those words that has taken on a whole new meaning, it can be anything between total swiss cheese and a thin spot in the paint.
If your plan is a nice finish then get pictures first.

Alan

upload_2019-4-16_11-35-55.png

yea patina can mean anything from oxidized paint to total rust..lol

By the exact (google) definition you are totally correct. And so are those that use it that way. While it means oxidation, it also means the general appearance of something.

_

-
Back