Paxton Super charger

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok I have been thinking about the motor I would like to do for my duster.I was planing on a stroker but then got to looking into superchargers.I was planing on a 408 with about 500hp 500tq.I was think about building a 400hp 360 9.0.1 comp and running the paxton supercharger at about 9psi of boost.What kinda power gain do you think I would expect out of the setup.I would like to get 500hp 500tq but would like to get it at the lowest Rpm.Street/Strip car.Car will be about 3400lbs 3.73 gears 4 speed when I am done.

9:1 is a little high for a blower.

With my procharger I was a tad under 9 to 1 with aluminium heads but I was only at about 6 psi of boost and it ran good. It helped with the boost retard so I could help control the detonation issues.

With my procharger I was a tad under 9 to 1 with aluminium heads but I was only at about 6 psi of boost and it ran good. It helped with the boost retard so I could help control the detonation issues.

How bad did it rattle?

I talked to paxton the said with a intercooler i could run 12psi with 9.0.1

Of course they did.....

man, you REALLY need to get that book entitled, "Street Supercharging"

Sounds like you need to do some readin! Read that book, and then read it again.

Ok I have been thinking about the motor I would like to do for my duster.I was planing on a stroker but then got to looking into superchargers.I was planing on a 408 with about 500hp 500tq.I was think about building a 400hp 360 9.0.1 comp and running the paxton supercharger at about 9psi of boost.What kinda power gain do you think I would expect out of the setup.I would like to get 500hp 500tq but would like to get it at the lowest Rpm.Street/Strip car.Car will be about 3400lbs 3.73 gears 4 speed when I am done.

You should snoop around the dakota boards. A lot of us run supercharged 360s and 318s as there were at least 3 bolt-on kits available four our trucks. I have had a paxton and a vortech V1 and V2 ... the NOVI 2000 is a sick blower can make near 600rwhp on a 360 motor with cool air and good gas. If I were building a motor specifically for a centri, I wouldn't go lower than 9.0:1 and might even run 9.5:1 or more. A centrifugal SC pulleyed to 10 psi will be weak down low and a low comp motor wont help....

You should snoop around the dakota boards. A lot of us run supercharged 360s and 318s as there were at least 3 bolt-on kits available four our trucks. I have had a paxton and a vortech V1 and V2 ... the NOVI 2000 is a sick blower can make near 600rwhp on a 360 motor with cool air and good gas. If I were building a motor specifically for a centri, I wouldn't go lower than 9.0:1 and might even run 9.5:1 or more. A centrifugal SC pulleyed to 10 psi will be weak down low and a low comp motor wont help....

RE:
"A centrifugal SC pulleyed to 10 psi will be weak down low and a low comp motor wont help...."

My 360 Magnum with a Hughes performance 214/218 @ .050"-lift cam (.525"-lift) and 115-degrees of lobe separation, pulls like a big block down low with 10 pounds of boost.

With some 8" drag radials, the last time I had it to the strip, on a VHT-treated surface, I was spinning all the way through first gear (with a 3.55 Sure Grip) and because of that could only generate a lousy 1.81 60-foot time. My engine has a measured 9:1 compression ratio and is stock (including the heads) with the exception of the cam and a TTI header system.

My car has nothing but traction problems because of this engine's low end torque. I bought a new set of 9" Hoosier slicks to combat the problem, but anything over 1,500 rpm stall will incinerate the tires at will.

It's only a mid 11-second car, but maybe I need to retard the cam a little, I dunno... but a lack of low-end torque is surely not the problem with this engine!

Just sayin'...

Attachments

• image0-2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_3266.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 447
These are some nice numbers. How much timing? What Fuel? It would be interesting to see the X axis in RPMs and the boost. I have a 9.0:1 318 Magnum with nearly identical cam and Eddie heads pulleyed to 11 PSI and it certainly ain't a big block down low ... lol. Perhaps the 40cc's make all the difference. Things don't really start happening for me until around 4000 rpms.

My comments were directed towards the statement that "9:1 is a little high for a blower." I said in response "I wouldn't go lower than 9.0:1." Your post proves that 9:1 isn't too much comp;-)

-
Back