PayPal CL Scam? How does it work?

-

jorez

Reaction score
I have a motorcycle listed, with my email as a reply. All I seam to get are these people saying they will pay via PayPal, and send a shipper to pick the bike up. How am I at risk if I use paypal. Just curious, I know about the Certified check scam, and all that...but I just dont know how you can get around the paypal security to scam. I will only take cash, so i guess i just want to know how to have "fun" wit the scammers

I have had that same scam when I'm selling stuff on craigslist......I just tell them all items are COD only.

I have a motorcycle listed, with my email as a reply. All I seam to get are these people saying they will pay via PayPal, and send a shipper to pick the bike up. How am I at risk if I use paypal. Just curious, I know about the Certified check scam, and all that...but I just dont know how you can get around the paypal security to scam. I will only take cash, so i guess i just want to know how to have "fun" wit the scammers

i dont know about anyone else, but i never post my email address in any CL add. phone number only. i had to close my yahoo account because i did it one time and not only did i get flooded with spam and scams, but i picked up a virus in the process

One way is they pay with a credit card through Paypal and then contest the charge with the credit card company. It then turns into a pissing contest between you, them and Paypal..... tell them local pick up only paid with cash or tell them to pound sand up their butt crack and howl at the moon, your choice.

tell them to pound sand up their butt crack and howl at the moon, your choice.

LOL. I have told everyone that its cash only, I didnt post my e-mail, but when they hit the blind email link it comes to my email, so i only get about one a day. I tell them cash only and it stops

Contesting the charge can be done anywhere anytime anyway.
One thing I do is put my mouse over what they want me to click and verify where that link goes before I click it, and also most EVERTHING legit is a https address, where most of the scam stuff isn't.
I get shipping notifications that if clicked on, take you to a online meds website a lot also, but the mousover gives them away.

Those, I email politely back and tell them to F**K OFF AND GET A REAL AND HONEST JOB!
I belong to a group called Badwarebusters.org and it fights spammers, scammers and malware infection sources so I really have vengance against these lowlife's

On way is they pay with a credit card through Paypal and then contest the charge with the credit card company. It then turns into a pissing contest between you, them and Paypal..... tell them local pick up only paid with cash or tell them to pound sand up their butt crack and howl at the moon, your choice.

I sold some fenders to Canada, shipped UPS. I had the money in my pocket and paypal put a freeze on my account. The payment was made on an expired credit card. The guy that bought them was a standup guy, just a mistake, he corrected it. But I wonder what would have happened otherwise. PAYPAL themselves are crooks........

Anybody that thinks Paypal is foolproof is foolish. Dig around, do some Google, and get into some of the discussions about ebay problems. Just like the guy above, you can get your bank account and paypal account locked up and there won't be a thing you can do about it -- for awhile.

And forget this "having fun" with the scammers.

They will probably try to have the "shipper" come before they pay. Putting you in an awkward position and relying that you will ship the item anyway, then not pay.

Also beware of them trying to go through "ebay motors". They will claim that you put money in and are able to get a refund within 10 days if you are not happy with the purchase. Meantime they have already transferred your money to their account and you will never see it again... That is when you are trying to buy something.

419Eater.com

I have a collection of fake checks, and other sundry payment methods. Oddly, after I screwed with them for awhile, I never get those scams in my email anymore. I think I'm on a list at some scammer HQ of people that aren't worth screwing with.

Use PayPal to buy not to sell. Don't put your phone number in the ad. Set up and use a secondary e-mail address in the ad. Get the buyer's phone number and make the contact. A buyer can stop a PayPal payment with a stop payment request on their credit card. Good luck.

Paypal is only for ebay and sites/people you trust like this one. I get those emails all the time as well when I try and sell more expensive things. They're all scams. Just ignore them and move on. I don't even reply to them because I don't want them getting my email address.

-
Back