PCV and Pan Evac

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so i have a question...

i dont have the money for a 600 dollar vacuum pump and had an idea...

i currently run a PCV and a breather, fine...

but when at the track it does no good and i get a mist on the V/C...

so i was thinking that i could get a pan evac kit that goes to the header and just run both All time...

and good cyl pressure and no oil consumption... just thinking out loud...

Only problem I see is the pan evac may not work with full exhaust on the street as the back pressure may not let the one way valves open. This is why I didnt run this set up with full exhaust.

Only problem I see is the pan evac may not work with full exhaust on the street as the back pressure may not let the one way valves open. This is why I didnt run this set up with full exhaust.

hmm... well i open them at the track so they would work there...

I think this was discussed a while back and what daredevil stated above was pretty much the conclusion....

What if you find a smog pump off like an 80's Dodge truck and modify that?? I know of some rock crawler guys that have used them as like mini air compressors to fill up small 10 gallon tanks on their rigs just in case they knock the tire off the bead or have to air up after running low pressure for the rocks. They just use some sort of regulator on it.
Essentially it sucks air and pushes air, isn't that what a vacuum pump does?? So......

What if you find a smog pump off like an 80's Dodge truck and modify that?? I know of some rock crawler guys that have used them as like mini air compressors to fill up small 10 gallon tanks on their rigs just in case they knock the tire off the bead or have to air up after running low pressure for the rocks. They just use some sort of regulator on it.
Essentially it sucks air and pushes air, isn't that what a vacuum pump does?? So......

yea i gave that a quick look but didn't find what i was looking for... but i remember working on an 80's with that so i can narrow my search...

thx

well here is what i was looking for lol... looks like its ported in and out... the others sucked it in thru the fan...

i wonder how much vacuum it could make?

And then when i smog the dart it could dilute the exh to! LOL
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=747782_0_0_

ok so i went to the parts store to check out that pump and it has two exh ports...

it still sucks in thru behind the pulley...

anybody seen one that has an intake/exh port?

805MoparKid
How much vacuum do you need? Could you use something like an old Ford Diesel Vacuum pump or maybe one off an early 80's Cadillac?
~Michael

The Ford diesel vacuum pump was used to operate the power brake booster. They used it for a number of years. Might be able to pick a used one up in a wrecking yard.
~Michael

The Ford diesel vacuum pump was used to operate the power brake booster. They used it for a number of years. Might be able to pick a used one up in a wrecking yard.
~Michael

well that would be at least 12lbs or so eh?... is it belt driven?

The one that was on my 86 Ramcharger had one that sucked from the passenger side exhuast and pushed to the driver side exhaust.

This wouldnt make sense as the pump pumps fresh air in the exhaust runners to help achieve complete combustion on the way out.

Yep, the PCV system only works when there's enough vacuum to open the valve (think idle and cruise). The header style pan evacs only at full throttle and uncorked.

Have you tried running two open breathers at the strip?

Yep, the PCV system only works when there's enough vacuum to open the valve (think idle and cruise). The header style pan evacs only at full throttle and uncorked.

Have you tried running two open breathers at the strip?

no i have not tried... seems like it would just split the issue wouldn't it?

I wonder if there is anyway to adapt a combination alternator/vacuum pump to your Dart. That would eliminate the need for figuring out the belt drive system. I know Ford and Isuzu both made the combo setup for their diesels. Not sure if Dodge ever had anything like that.
~Michael

no offense but are you sure it wasn't just pushing air to both manifolds??

Yeah, pretty sure. I fired it up after taking the hoses off the manifold ports and put my hand of the pass and driver side hoses. The pass side was sucking and the drivers side was pushing. Maybe it wasn't operating properly, not completely sure how they work or what the internals look like but, thought it might work...maybe not?

-
Back