PCV Chimney / Stove Pipe questions

-

lyonsronnie1

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I have a 225 I'm getting back how it should be, and one of the things I'm doing is taking that DAMN chrome valve cover off that I put on it back when I didn't know any better.

So I bought an old valve cover and cleaned it up, painted it, and installed it. Much better because it has the baffles. My car is a '66, I bought the valve cover with the pcv chimney (didn't realize they stopped those in 65 apparently).

So anyways, two questions.

1. Can I clean up, or test the old pcv valve? Those early ones are pretty expensive to replace. If I can't reuse this one, i'm going to do the newer style plastic one, with a grommet or something inside the stove pipe 'sleeve'.

2. What exactly does that spring thing do? Mine has 1 side broke off. I ordered a new one but to be honest I can't even tell what i'm supposed to do with it. My sleeve fits really snugly (really snugly, as in must be bent) on the stove pipe.

Thanks for any info!

If you are talking about the two-bladed "leaf spring" which goes down each side of the piece which you can pull of, the purpose is to apply tension to hold it in place

Clean up the old one? I'd try it. No idea "if it's worth it" 'till you try it

-
Back