Pcv is rattling

-

highflyer

Reaction score
This problem started on start of this motor..pcv rattles and whistles while motor is running.its almost like its timed with something..changed valve and it got a lot better..but its still there..I feel its a vacume issue..its rattles like its timed with something in the motor..does a prob like this signifie a problem with intake gasket not being sealed or a valve hung up and when it gets to this spot it doesnt pull vacume ..I sprayed around the manifold with no visible difference but I havnt done a compression check yet..am I making sense here..motor 36o weind j heads and comp 262 cam..j

Some PCV valve designs just do it. It's normal. It means the valve is workin.

But if they rattle along with engine fluctuations you might have fluctuating vacuum aswell.
This could mean worn valveguides for instance.

Install a vacuumgauge and check what the needle does when idling.

The first thing I would try is spraying gumout in the pcv line while the engine is running , it could be somewhat obstructed.

And is the rubber pcv line flexible and easy to bend or hard and brittle?

Check the PCV line. Some people use basic fuel line( not designed for oil internal use). The inner layer breaks down & away from the outside rubber body. This can cause a whistling, at higher vacuum. See it occasionally,just a thought. Try an actual oil impervious line,see what happens.

I worked on it today,did a compression test.HOT.all cyl did 152 -156-psi with s/p out ign grnded and throttle w/o..pretty even across the board...no oil in cyl.[new mtr]..put a vac gaude on it,pulled 17.5 after adjusting idle screws and when I first started with gauge the needle was vibrating 4 inches till I snmoothed it out with the adjustment..then while I had the gauge on it and while it was vibrating wildly I pinched off the pcv hose[brand new] and the wild swing of the needle went away...I took pics of the plugs ..ill post them here as soon as I get em processed..how do they look?????

Attachments

• P1010203.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 215
  • P1010201.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 226
Look good ,across the board (my opinion). See how it runs,after the adjustments.

I worked on it today,did a compression test.HOT.all cyl did 152 -156-psi with s/p out ign grnded and throttle w/o..pretty even across the board...no oil in cyl.[new mtr]..put a vac gaude on it,pulled 17.5 after adjusting idle screws and when I first started with gauge the needle was vibrating 4 inches till I snmoothed it out with the adjustment..then while I had the gauge on it and while it was vibrating wildly I pinched off the pcv hose[brand new] and the wild swing of the needle went away...I took pics of the plugs ..ill post them here as soon as I get em processed..how do they look?????

Plugs all look mostly the same and look to be burning clean

Well now that I have about 200 miles on the engine it has decided to quiet down ..instead of a 2 inch swing it sits on one spot and vibrates .5 or so of vac..very smooth now,,,what gives..it still feels like a vac leak,but there is no miss at any rpm,,,262 cam..i still havnt laid on it but iv nailed it a bit and it pulls relitivly quick[355 gears..]and doesn't fall on its face..i havnt done a speed plug color check yet timing is back at 10 initial and about 38 total..with a slight ping on cracking the gas at cruise..[did the spray around the carb and man] what condition positively tells there is a vac leak?...tx..j

I had that PCV valve rattle too. I restricted the rubber line wit an old small socket and it stopped doing it immediately. I figured I had the wrong PCV valve on it.

Regarding your timing. You may have too small of an initial accelerator pump shot. You might want to try a slightly bigger one or see if it is delaying bit as the carb is opening.

You can also optimize your timing by remove and plug the vacuum advance line from the distributor. Advance the timing until the vacuum peaks, back it off and see if it peaks at the same spot. If so. That is your initial timing. You may have to lower the idle several times to get back to youor desired specs.

Then adjust with bushings etc, or weld the ends of the slots on the distributor advance mechanism and use a small chain saw file to reshape the slots so that your initial timing PLUS your mechanical timing equal 36 total or within a few degrees of it either way. you will have to experiment to see what it likes and how much octane you can give it.

Now hook you vacuum advance line back up. it should be hooked to manifold vacuum ONLY. This is so when you open the throttle, the timing almost instantly retards as the vacuum drops. There is and adjustment allen screw inside the vacuum advance nipple on the distributor to limit its travel. there are also many different advance pods that have different amounts of vacuum advance limit steps on them. You can weld up your own step and file it down or source the one that gives you around 48 to 50 degrees total advance while cruising at light throttle of the freeway. Your car may want less. You have to experiment.

As far as the advance springs go, you want them to let you timing all in "at least" just before you hit your normal freeway cruising speed for optimal mileage. You may get a little more performance if you can get it all in earlier, but avoid detonation at all costs.

My Slant six had a smallish torque cam from Erson designed by Doug Dutra. It liked 24 initial and 32 total, all in by 2200 rpm. I had the distributor in and out half a dozen times to disassemble it and file the slots more until I got to my total timing target. The vacuum advance was hooked directly to the manifold. Once tuned like this, It would smoke the tires for 10 feet on take off when punched with 3.23 rears.

It absolutely transformed that car and improved my gas mileage. Which was not much better. I only got than 14 around town and 18 on the highway at best. The time it took to do it was well worth the effort.

This can be time consuming, but it is the only way I know how to do it without a distributor machine, and the results are well worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_2544 (Large).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Mr Slant 6 (Large).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 142
-
Back