pcv is sucking oil

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
What's up FABO, I would like to know what valve covers everyone is using on their 318/340/360? I have a 360 with x heads, stock rockers and MP black wrinkle valve covers with baffles on both ends. I have a breather on one side and a pcv valve on the other side and I am sucking out oil. I am starting to think I need to take out the baffles they came with and construct my own. I have changed breathers, checked for vacuum leaks thru the manifold and no luck. Any help/ideas would be great. Thanks.

What PCV valve are you running?

More than likely it's just a baffle problem, but keep in mind that PCV's do not all supply the same amount of vacuum on the crankcase. They are tuned for their specific application. Or at least, they are supposed to be.

No smoke of any kind out of the exhaust pipes. Just a little black smoke but I am certain that is from my carb being rich. I am running just a standard $3.00 stock 340 pcv valve that I got from the local parts store. Is there a different pcv valve I should be using since I dont have a stock 340? I started the car up, let it warm up, revved it up a couple times and drove it around the block and could see the oil on my valve cover already when I parked it.

When did this issue start? Did you just notice it, or have you made changes?

You can always decide to install an inline oilseperator as an added buffer.

I recently did the same, just as a check how much oil is actually being sucked away through the PCV-system, and it was shocking.
I used the pot from a brake-bleeder vacuumsystem.

Even more shocking was the amount of moisture and therefore white sludge being hurdled down the intake tract.

This was just from 1.5 week of daily driving after installation;

IMG_3853_zpstkralxwa.jpg

I changed PCV units since then to see if the amount of sludge got less. I think I'm seeing less sludge end up in the pot after the change to a different valve, but temps also have become a little warmer now so that might be the actual reason.

No smoke of any kind out of the exhaust pipes. Just a little black smoke but I am certain that is from my carb being rich. I am running just a standard $3.00 stock 340 pcv valve that I got from the local parts store. Is there a different pcv valve I should be using since I dont have a stock 340? I started the car up, let it warm up, revved it up a couple times and drove it around the block and could see the oil on my valve cover already when I parked it.

Get a breather with a nipple on it to run a hose to the air cleaner base

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 282
This issue has always existed with the car but I don't really drive it a lot so I never really cared to notice until I started driving it more (100 miles in a day) and then I was discovering a quarter to a half a quart was missing with no leaks under the car. I'm thinking that running that in line pcv set up would be great temporarily to see really how much oil is getting sucked out. Also I'm gonna build some baffles of my own too.

Hey BigblockMopar, it is my understanding that your going to have a little bit of oil at the pcv valve and breather. But I guess I am not sure what is acceptable for a performance motor and what is not? How much oil did you find in your inline oil separator?

I had the moisture problem while in Iceland for a year. Humid coastal cold weather, very short trips on base where the engine rarely got to operating temp. Every Saturday I took the truck for a long sight seeing drive to rid the oil of moisture. Change the oil every 3 months also.
I run an air line moisture/oil seperator on my 340 with forged pistons. I do have a small amount of blow by until the engine comes up to temp and the old TRW forged pistons expand. The other issue I have is the adjustable rocker hit the baffle and I had to drill a hole for clearance. I raised my PCV using a stand pipe and it helps.

Im confused; Post one says your engine is sucking out the oil . Post4 says no oil smoke. And then it says oil mist on, thats ON, the valve cover.
So is it sucking it out or blowing it out?
These are two different problems.
------------------
If it is sucking it out:
Any chance the crank is whipping up an oilstorm from a too-high oil level?
Is there sufficient oil drainback in the valley?
Is the top end over-oiling, and over loading the baffle system?
Perhaps your oilrings arent working right or they are overloaded.
----------------------
If it is blowing it out:
The seal between the breather and the valve cover is lousy,or there is insufficient venting for the amount of blowby, or there is just plain too much blowby.
Put a pressure gauge on it, or have the blowby tested.
-----------------------
BTW; I see a ticking time bomb in your picture. There is a rubber fuel line passing under your supercoil. It has but one gearclamp on it and it appears to be directly under the coil tower.

I believe the correct way to describe it should be sucking it out thru pcv? The correct amount of oil is in the motor. I put in some home made baffles that basically were longer, and curved closer to the valve cover and so far so good. I drove the car 150 miles and no oil showing up on the valve covers or breather. I know I should probably drive some more to be sure but I will be doing that over the next few days to be sure. Thanks for all the help and advice!

-
Back