pcv set up

-

pjc360

Reaction score
Recently i had been told i need a breather on one side and a pcv valve on the other side, well my pcv valve is at the back of the passenger valve cover and my brake booster is so big that there isnt any room to run a breather. So what i did is i put a breather on the front passenger valve cover and i had an enclose oil filler cap on the front of the drivers side valve cover, but i found a breather/oil cap and i put it on the front of the drivers side valve cover.
So i have 2 breathers on the front of both valve covers and the pcv valve in the back of the passenger valve cover and the back of the drivers side valve cover is plugged off with a gromment. Will this set up be sufficient? I added the breather to the front of the passenger side cover because the breather on the drivers side front my breather/oil filler cap isnt very big on the inside, but i suppose its better then nothing, and i thought a breather on the front valve cover would help get fresh air into the engine.

why's that? isnt that what breathers are for is to get fresh air into the crankcase?

ok, well hopefully i'm all set with the pcv system, and hopefully having no breathers was the cause of my smoking upon de-acceleration... or hopefully having no breathers on my valve covers and my intake manifold vaccum leak was the cause of it because both those issues are fixed now. Ill check an see on sunday when i get a chance to take it out for a spin

Well i just wanted to give everyone an update, my engine is no longer smoking upon de-acceleration or when i shift out of overdrive. So my guess is ether my intake manifold vaccum leak or not having any breathers on the valve covers was the cause of it. Or maybe it was a little bit of both. But i'm glad it is no longer doing that. I was begining to become confused because compression test checks out perfectly with 150psi on every cylinder.

Glad ya got it fixed but JFYI a compression test just tells you the condition of the valves and compression rings. The oil scraper rings have little to no impact on compression readings.

-
Back