PCV valve

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How often should you replace the PCV valve? Is it still good as long as it rattles when you shake it?

Fred B

Yup, as long as the ball moves freely both ways. I usually pull it out every so often and spray some carb cleaner or something of the sort in there and shake it real good, and put it back in.

Do you find oil coming out of places it shouldn't?

I would run one in one cover and a breather in the other, but that's just me.

I don't run one on my 340....should I?

Keith, it depends... I ran on the Chev rat, a crappy pair of K & N breathers ( sucked ***, leaked oil everywhere. Swapped to a pair of the mid-late 70's mopar stock breathers. No oil leaks, Lights Out, no problem.( J.M.E)

PCV, easy free ventilation, keeps sludge down. Doesn't do jack to performance as its closed during WOT and low vacuum situations.

Yes, valve covers always leaking.....and blow by from the breathers when I hammer on it...thanks, I will install one when I get it out in spring, I have the correct chrome one for my 66 273 commando covers....

PCV, easy free ventilation, keeps sludge down. Doesn't do jack to performance as its closed during WOT and low vacuum situations.

Actually, that's incorrect. It puts a vacuum on the crankcase, on the back side of the rings and promotes better ring seal.

I spray gumout in mine while the engine is running to keep it and the hose clean and unclogged.

I spray gumout in mine while the engine is running to keep it and the hose clean and unclogged.

hey bomber: I`m not familiar w/ those breathers. are they just a breather or one for a pcv, and air cleaner tube? ----bob

Wouldn't it be great if they made PCV valves out of PVC plastic....

Then you could have a PVC PCV.....

Yes, valve covers always leaking.....and blow by from the breathers when I hammer on it...thanks, I will install one when I get it out in spring, I have the correct chrome one for my 66 273 commando covers....

Yup, Keith, it sounds like you need one.

It doesn't really matter which side it goes in I don't guess. Factory is PCV in the front grommet on my 74 and the breather is on the rear on the passenger side.

-
Back