Pedal travel

-

NiceFishEh

Reaction score
Just completed the disc upgrade on the Fish. Seems to me there is too much pedal travel...about 3" from top of pedal to where it starts to grab.

Seems like I had a higher pedal with the drums.

I replaced the master twice with new ones, new calipers, lines ,hoses....

I swapped out the factory prop valve with a SSBC unit. No difference.

I bench bled the master really good, and cracked every fitting from there to each wheel including prop valve.

I have no air in the lines...I can fill the clear tubing and jar in no time with a steady stream of fluid with no air at all.

I haven't road tested it yet. It seems OK in the driveway, a few feet forward and backward.

Is this normal and as good as it gets? Maybe I'm just used to the power brakes on my daily driver.

Comments?

Thanks

DSCN1069 (Small).JPG

Something looks funny there. Did you swap spindles when you swapped calipers from side to side? I dont remember that brake line going into the bottom of the caliper like that.

Mike

I think I said that backwards. Did you swap calipers after you swapped spindles?

Looking at the same thing. Although a bit of a mind bender as I've been up since 2, but looks to me that the caliper is mounted so that the bleed nipple will be below where the piston fluid cavity will be. As such you could have a pocket of air at the top of the bleed cavity behind the piston that will not displace and bleed out. Just a thought.

Cheers

guys switch the spindles and calipers side to side for various reasons. The bleeder needs to be at the top for proper air removal. Some have flipped the caliper just for final bleeding then put it back rather than switch sides again.

I mounted the calipers so the bleeder is on top. Is the caliper on the wrong side?

It sure looks to me like the calipers need to be switched side for side. I would think that the bleeder would actually be more to the top and that Brit is right about the air pocket.

It sure looks to me like the calipers need to be switched side for side. I would think that the bleeder would actually be more to the top and that Brit is right about the air pocket.

Right now, the bleeder is pointing at about 45* up, towards the back of the car.

I'm trying really hard to visualize what that caliper would look like on the other side. Seems like the bleeder would be more vertical if switched, and this should resolve the air issue, yes?

It's done! I have about an inch of travel, and it's solid.

And I knew about the bleeder orientation and the air lock thing... and I still got it wrong. I switched calipers and hoses, now I'm happy with it.

Good thing I don't do this for a living!

Thanks to all!

Jim

-
Back