penetrating oil

-

69DARTS

69 Darts Rule
Reaction score
what brand do u guys use i like these

Picture.jpg

PB Blaster is the best you can watch it crawl in between a nut and bolt good stuff.

I bought a can of PB blaster based on recommendations from the guys here. I must say I am impressed. I had a bolt running through a clip[ at the bottom of the fender. You know.The kind that is always seized and you break the friggin clip trying to get it out. I soaked it,then tapped it lightly,following the cans instructions. Igave it a minute,and put a 1/2 drive on it. It broke free,so I worked it a bit. Kinda tight,so I soaked it again and waited another minute. It turned really nice after that!

I decided to use it on my door hinges and roller pins, and the latch assembly. Door works freakin GREAT now !!!!

I'll be a return customer!

We use PB Blaster at work. Works.

Just a note - John Barry, the guy who was responsible for making Wd40 a household item died the other day.

My first response was going to be very dirty, make my GF unhappy and NSFW...

I tend to use PB blaster

A buddy of mine sent me this a few weeks a go. Pretty interesting.

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

Significant results! They are below.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load
None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ........ 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price

kroil is the best stuff on the planet here is a link to their site http://www.kanolabs.com/ used in the aviation industry now available directly from kano!
Ditto, I have also been known to make my own; 50% each, ATF & deisel or kero. I'm tellin ya the homemade stuff will break loose anything if left overnight!
I'm not buying the liquid wrench being as good as kroil, no way, use em both way too much! LOL!!

Ditto, I have also been known to make my own; 50% each, ATF & deisel or kero. I'm tellin ya the homemade stuff will break loose anything if left overnight!
I'm not buying the liquid wrench being as good as kroil, no way, use em both way too much! LOL!!

THats something I learned the other day. Crazt hippie buddy of mine bought this Yamaha for $100. Had a seized engine,so he mixed oil and laquer thinner and then gently warmed the cylinders up. Broke the engine free. I saw him riding it today...

I used to use aerokroil but now I cant find it anywhere, Ive been useing PB Blaster

I have never used WD-40 for a rust penetrant. However, it works great in its intended purpose as a rust preventative and lubricant on mechanical parts.

Sea-Foam Deep Creep not only can you use it for penetrating oil
but has other good uses too.
My brother's a mechanic and gave me two can and have been sold on it ever
since.

Kroil first, then Acetone/Trans fluid. Also you can heat the nut or bolt and put Paraffin wax on it. The wax creeps into the voids and acts as a lubricant.

I've always used PB Blaster but I'm going to try Kano Kroil and Liquid Wrench.

if I have to buy it pb blaster or kroil but if I want it free I drain old shock absorbers of their oil before they hit the scrap pile.the oil in them penetrates great and it is economical and help save resources and cash.I take apart a lot of rusty stuff so it comes in handy in an old pb blaster hand pump sprayer and it doesn't evaporate as quickly............

-
Back