Pennzoil Syncro- mesh

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
One of you guys mentioned that Pennzoil Syncro-mesh lube is good stuff.
I changed the lube in my 4 spd. tonight and it works great! It shifts very smooth and is quiet. Thanks for the tip! BTW I had synthetic fluid in it for the last year
and have never been quite happy with the results.(hard shifting and noisy)
Thanks again for the info!!!! toolmanmike

Which synthetic oil did you have in there?

I had switched to the Penzoil Syncromesh a few months ago and it works great.

I've never had a problem with Penzoil products, I doubt anyone could tell whether they have Penzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State or any other brand in there vehicles if they didn't see the bottle it came from.

Take a valvecover off any motor that was run with Pennzoil or Quaker State then look at one that ran Valvoline or any other oil and you'll notice a huge difference. Pennzoil and Quaker State leave dark "film" or coking on a motor more than any other oil I have ever seen. I'm not saying Pennzoil won't libe or protect the motor but it "cokes" up more than any other oil on the market.

It coats because it is wax based on all standrd oils. The synthetics are not.

I understand that but why don't you get that coating with Valvoline? I've only ever seen Pennzoil motors and Valvoline motors. My dad has always ran Pennzoil and I have always run Valvoline and he switched to Valvoline after seeing that coating on his valvecovers on his truck vs the valve covers on my wife's Durango (Both magnum 318's with similar mileage) his were all coated with a brown goo and mine were nice and clean. We both use Napa gold filters and change oil at or real close to 3000 miles.

thats the first good thing ive EVER heard about pennzoil

I HATE pennzoil when I worked at a junk yard full time I could pull a VC off and see a lot more deposit there I would open the door and sure enough the sticker there was a pennzoil yes that was a long time a ago but..

Interesting, first time I have heard anything about a brand of oil that is based in real experience, it's has always been second or thrid hand. Normally it's this brand s*&$^s with no real reason. And I have heard complaints registered about them all including Valvoline.

Anyway, in my 35+ years of driving I have never been faithful to one brand of oil or oil filter. Typically I purchase whatever name brand is on sale at the time I need to make a purchase. I guess the closest thing to a brand loyality has been Mobil 1 for my turbo cars. The turbo cars have always had synthetic and Mobil 1 has been the most readily available over the years.

This has served me well with close to a million miles accumulated on the vehicles I have had responsibility for maintaining, with the ones I have purchased new always going 200,000+ miles before replacing them. Never had a internal engine failure that could be even remotely associated with lucbrication.

I wouldn't call Pennzoil S**T but I know it leaves a film on and in the engine....you can tell what motors ran it which ones didn't by the color of the parts coming out of the motor.....you can see it on piston skirts and on the inside of the valve covers the most. I run Valvoline cause I can get it easy, it has a good rep and it keeps the motor clean so far as I can tell from my experiences from tear downs and rebuilds. My dad has used Pennzoil for many many years with no mechanical problems....he switch soley because of the film that it was putting on the motor.

always a big debate with pennzoil products. I had this conversation with my college auto shop teacher back in 1993 and the same points were brought up about the film it leaves. At the time, Pennzoil claimed its oils had the "Penn Star" molecule, which bonded to engine components. We cam e to a conclusion that this could be the film it leaves behind. we do not know for sure. But one thing I do know is I ran that Pennzoil 10w-40 exclusively in a '77 Dodge van with a 360, up to 149,000 miles with no problems to the motor.

I currently use Castrol and Valvoline. But that van had nothing else but Pennzoil.

I don't use pennsoil motor oil either because of the film it leaves. Right on the bottle it says "the tough film oil", they aren't lying.

I also use Valvoline and have since I started driving in 1977. I would be interested in hearing a negative story about Valvoline, I have never heard one, might be interesting.

Chuck

The turbo cars have always had synthetic and Mobil 1 has been the most readily available over the years..

I have owned a few turbo cars the ones I bought new never had a turbo failure and I only used Mobil 1 from the first oil change also I always let them idle for a few min on hot days or if I had ran them hard. ZERO turbo failures on these motors. I bought 2 used 2.2 turbos and lost both turbos so maintenance counts big time in turbos even ones with water cooling.

My first turbo Daytona was purchased new in 85, I put 240,000 miles on it with only head gasket failure (started leaking coolant out), my son totaled it. I purchased an 89 Shelby Daytona in 91 with real low miles (20k), this car had 176,000 miles on it when I decided to think out my fleet and it went, it was running strong at the time. I also had an 86 Turbo Z for awhile that had 150,000 on it when I gave it to a friend. These cars all lived on a diet of synthetic oil changed on 7.5k intervals, mostly Mobil 1 but my only requirement was it should be a synthetic and even used Wal Mart brand on a couple of occasions. Never had a turbo or internal engine failure.

My current turbo mopar ride is an 03 PT Cruiser GT, it has about 55K miles. Only issue with this car has been the intake manifold gasket started leaking which resulted in a an intermitant mis-fire trouble code. This happened at 45k miles and was covered for free under the emissions warranty.

I won't put a drop of Pennz. in my motor but the syncro-mesh works great.
Toolmanmike

-
Back