Percolation? Heat soak? Don't drive during summer??

-
I think he derailed himself. LOL.
From what I've gathered in the last relevant posts including yours, is this:
It does appear in the photos that the cooling system has no recovery tank and a universal top hose. Those a minor things that can help capacity and flow a little bit.
It's not running excessively hot.
It's not a loose build or have very high spring pressure but is in a hot climate. 10W-40 would probably be more appropriate than 20W-50 at the next oil change or purchase.
Something is up in the electrical system and still needs to be checked out sooner than later. That's far more improtant than worrying about coolant temps that are basically normal.

I have an overflow bottle, its just placed so strategically it might have been missed to the amateur eyes... :poke: :D

I was going to work on the car when I got home but I got busy doing other things... ill work on it in the morning as I have to change the oils in my wifes car and my other car.

The electrical, ill wait until it dies (if it does) then try out the gas in carb, ballast and ecm to see if that changes anything.

20200925_194634.jpg

20200925_194757.jpg

I actually have really bad adhd, I'm prescribed 60mg a day... i don't take it all though because I dont like to take medication, especially that much medication all day long.

It's a common thing in adults. More so than most think. My son is 30 now and had a bad case of it. I was serious when I said that, I wasn't making fun. I have a lot of experience with it and can spot it quickly.

With that said, don't let these yahoos veer you off track. You may have a small overheating issue, but it's certainly not enough to warrant changing oil grades. Were you running 900 plus HP in a big block with LOTS of heat buildup, then you might would want to look for every avenue to help run cooler. You're not.

It's a common thing in adults. More so than most think. My son is 30 now and had a bad case of it. I was serious when I said that, I wasn't making fun. I have a lot of experience with it and can spot it quickly.

With that said, don't let these yahoos veer you off track. You may have a small overheating issue, but it's certainly not enough to warrant changing oil grades. Were you running 900 plus HP in a big block with LOTS of heat buildup, then you might would want to look for every avenue to help run cooler. You're not.

I agree. My build thread got sidetracked really easily as well, but that is what makes it fun.

I've been able to keep up without getting side tracked...

Pour gas in carb if dies
If gas doesn't make it start try ballast
Blast doesn't work try ecm
Ecm doesn't work... kill with fire
Kill with fire doesnt work... redo entire cooling system with electric water pump, 6 electric fans, and LS junkyard engine...
LS engine doesn't fix problem... add 9in Ford rear end...

I agree. My build thread got sidetracked really easily as well, but that is what makes it fun.

Pour gas in carb if dies
Kill with fire doesnt work... redo entire cooling system with electric water pump, 6 electric fans, and LS junkyard engine...

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Yea to many gurus to listen to. Its kind of like dental school though... bunch of dinosaur (not saying anyone here are dinosaurs) doctors who did certain things the same way for 40yrs, which worked for them, but other doctors did it differently so there is a little head butting.

So you usually take in all the information and find the way that works for you (to an extent).

Geez guy, stop letting all these morons derail you. If you're trying to look at lower viscosity oil to run cooler, here's a hint....YOU HAVE SOMETHING WRONG. Your build is very mild, much like a stock build. You DON'T need a lighter grade oil to help it run cooler. You need to FIND what's wrong and FIX IT.

Who the HELL said it had ANYTHING to do with cooling?

It’s not 1970 any more. There is no reason to run that ****, so he might as well just fix it.

For Christ’s sake, do you have to snivel about everything?

He's just baiting me into taking more photos from various Owners Manuals. LOL.
Sorry. Done with that. But here's a screen shot from a digitzed '70 Plymouth FSM.
For normal use
View attachment 1715601073

Now if you're going to run Stock car racing or the Silver State Classic, that's another story...

Twered it were to be in 1970 again.

Pour gas in carb if dies

Ls? Too mainstream. You need a Mercedes om606 turbo diesel.

Who the HELL said it had ANYTHING to do with cooling?

It’s not 1970 any more. There is no reason to run that ****, so he might as well just fix it.

For Christ’s sake, do you have to snivel about everything?

No I don't. I also don't have to read your crap either.

Only thing I'll say about 20W-50 (because this is a cooling thread, not an oil thread) is that in the '80's (is that "back in the day"?) my 383 A-body highway fuel consumption improved from 14.3 to 14.7 mpg, just from switching to 10W-40...
So it does take more power, which means more heat wasted in the coolant.

Yeah, don’t step up to the 1990’s.

You can run what you want for an oil but if you bother to call ANY decent oil manufacturer I’d be surprised if a single on said to use a 20 winter grade or a 50 grade oil.

They still make that crap for the stone headed dullards who never turned the page at the turn of the century.

No I don't. I also don't have to read your crap either.

Then block me and skip over it. Like your silly little minion, you can’t do it.

Add something relevant. Or just don’t add anything.

No one said a damn thing about oil affecting his cooling issue. You pulled that right out of your hat.

Take a break and go learn something.

Yeah, don’t step up to the 1990’s.

You can run what you want for an oil but if you bother to call ANY decent oil manufacturer I’d be surprised if a single on said to use a 20 winter grade or a 50 grade oil.

They still make that crap for the stone headed dullards who never turned the page at the turn of the century.

I don't run 20/50 and neither do I recommend it.

1990's? My '93 BMW 525i (M50 engine) actually calls for 20W-50 in any temp above 14F. When I got it the valve lifters were ticking and a quickie lube place had put 10W-30 in it. I changed to 20W-50 and the lifters immediately quieted.
But that's the only engine I ever have owned that specified that heavy an oil.

Then block me and skip over it. Like your silly little minion, you can’t do it.

Add something relevant. Or just don’t add anything.

No one said a damn thing about oil affecting his cooling issue. You pulled that right out of your hat.

Take a break and go learn something.

I think you need to take a break, Tim. Or a Valium. None of this is really that big a deal man.

I thought they had one in Vegas. My mistake. Anyway, our local O'Reilly auto can order VR1 in 10w-30, so that may be worth a shot.

Thats what i had in it the first time I changed the oil, the car seemed to like it? But they didn't have it last time I got oil.

Then WTF Rob? The course of the conversation drifted to oil. No one said anything about it fixing his cooling issues.

Damn

ok, maybe I misread something. If I did, I apologize. I'm quite sure though you have the luxury of never making a mistake to apologize for, right?

Ok gentleman let's be nice. I understand RRR is just making sure to elaborate on the fact that i shouldn't run 20w50. Yellow rose is agreeing that i shouldn't run "that ****." :thumbsup:

@toolmanmike can you please clean up the BS between me and yellow rose? My apologies. This thread didn't need derailing further. Thank you sir.

-
Back