Percolation? Heat soak? Don't drive during summer??

-
I think you need to take a break, Tim. Or a Valium. None of this is really that big a deal man.
Just keep being polite and not getting a name calling contest. Everybody can see who this is and what they're about. Louder temper tantrums and the name-calling accusations can only be the calling card of one person...

@toolmanmike can you please clean up the BS between me and yellow rose? My apologies. This thread didn't need derailing further. Thank you sir.
the derailing was invited by the Op and encouraged and we've been having fun conversation and solving the problem at the same time and giving helpful solutions..
It's when the name calling and internet hero ism begins the fun stops..

If I'm not mistaken @70aarcuda buys whatever flavor Walmart oil he can find in the viscosity he wants and ads a 4-ounce vial of zddp.... Myself I'm more of the school of the manufacture didn't go through all that testing to make the perfect formula and then I go ahead and try and think I'm going to outsmart them and make my own formula LOL... There's got to be at least 10 other oils out there that also have zddp in them.. but I'm sure the one that you use is more easily gotten at the local parts store... With all that said I would be much more much More much More looking at your fan... and that's the reason I really want to know what temperature your cars at when you're going down the freeway for 20 minutes at a steady speed. If it's all good and dandy at speed for a long while that's going to be the catalyst for a circulation problem of air when you're not going at speed..

Yes he does run what ever Walmart flavor he likes at the time. Same with transmission fluid too I think.

I think when I first got the car and did a tune up on it (wires, plugs, oil change,coolant flush with new cooling parts minus radiator) i read here that the vr1 was good and already had a high zinc content in it. I went with that because it eliminated the potential of me adding to much zinc or to little zinc to an oil that didn't have any or the right amount in it. Many of you guys have been doing this for many years so to you most of this is second nature and you've come across many of the common and not so common problems. This is my first old car, and first time I've really really torn into a car to rebuild different systems so I'm trying to not make the dumb mistakes... like not adding extra zinc to the wrong oil. Ill just remember to next time I change the oil, to add a lower viscosity oil, which may be sooner rather than later because my oil drain plug leaks and I want one of those fancy deep oil pans. Tony actually showed me the one he likes and offered me one when we did the cam but I always like to not take things from people and felt that I could buy later on. :)

@toolmanmike can you please clean up the BS between me and yellow rose? My apologies. This thread didn't need derailing further. Thank you sir.

Haha no worries, I actually dont mind just dont want anyone getting upset about anything in the thread.

Its really been a pleasure listening to all the advice and seeing all the different thought processes in trying to figure out why my car has been dying. I just feel bad I havent been able to test the car more to help narrow down the exact problem.

Really if anyone ever makes it to vegas my house is always open. :thumbsup:

It's the internet. There's no context or sarcasm font, or tone of voice to clarify points.

I saw rustys comment about oil and temp and thought "does he really think that's the conversation? Or is he being funny because a heat soak thread is suddenly discussing the very touchy subject of oil?" - and you know what? Doesn't matter. This isn't a thesis argument and none of us but DD have any skin in the game..

Plenty of folks get torqued off over stuff all the time, myself included, and stupid behavior results. Some people pop off and think it's in good fun while others take their statements very personally...

I don't think YR has said anything any worse than several other members either - especially in light of how easy it is to get confused about a heat soak thread that covers snowmobiles, mini bikes, and wind blown skirts.. Maybe best we all keep our skirts out of a twist :D

Besides, we're past the oil topic now and onto turbodiesels.

Yes he does run what ever Walmart flavor he likes at the time. Same with transmission fluid too I think.

I think when I first got the car and did a tune up on it (wires, plugs, oil change,coolant flush with new cooling parts minus radiator) i read here that the vr1 was good and already had a high zinc content in it. I went with that because it eliminated the potential of me adding to much zinc or to little zinc to an oil that didn't have any or the right amount in it. Many of you guys have been doing this for many years so to you most of this is second nature and you've come across many of the common and not so common problems. This is my first old car, and first time I've really really torn into a car to rebuild different systems so I'm trying to not make the dumb mistakes... like not adding extra zinc to the wrong oil. Ill just remember to next time I change the oil, to add a lower viscosity oil, which may be sooner rather than later because my oil drain plug leaks and I want one of those fancy deep oil pans. Tony actually showed me the one he likes and offered me one when we did the cam but I always like to not take things from people and felt that I could buy later on. :)

You made a great call. Chemical experimentation is best left to the experts, LOL. As others have said, some places will order you the same vr1 in other weights.
Lots of us have run 20w50 with no problems. Is it optimal? Impossible to say without tons of investment in testing, but there is data to suggest a 10w40 or 5w30 has some benefits if it has the high pressure additives we need (zinc, zddp).

It's the internet. There's no context or sarcasm font, or tone of voice to clarify points.

I saw rustys comment about oil and temp and thought "does he really think that's the conversation? Or is he being funny because a heat soak thread is suddenly discussing the very touchy subject of oil?" - and you know what? Doesn't matter. This isn't a thesis argument and none of us but DD have any skin in the game..

Plenty of folks get torqued off over stuff all the time, myself included, and stupid behavior results. Some people pop off and think it's in good fun while others take their statements very personally...

I don't think YR has said anything any worse than several other members either - especially in light of how easy it is to get confused about a heat soak thread that covers snowmobiles, mini bikes, and wind blown skirts.. Maybe best we all keep our skirts out of a twist :D

Besides, we're past the oil topic now and onto turbodiesels.

That was my bad. I slap misread something. Sorry bout that yall. I haven't felt good at all today anyway.....I almost didn't even work on Vixen tonight, but I pushed myself......probably too much and did anyway.

That was my bad. I slap misread something. Sorry bout that yall. I haven't felt good at all today anyway.....I almost didn't even work on Vixen tonight, but I pushed myself......probably too much and did anyway.

Meh - like I said, doesn't matter. With so many pages and @j par involved, it's bound to get messy!
:poke:

"One of those fancy oil pans" For what ?
This is what got your car into the state it is in. Fancy this fancy that. Just had to have a camshaft.....Oooooooh.
Your car ran great before you started adding fancy stuff, and yet you want to add more fancy stuff.

Let me ask you something, and be honest.
If you could turn back time, would you have left the car alone ?
Pre-Camshaft install, back when the car ran great ?

Quit adding fancy ****, and fix the fancy **** you have now.
Because if you don't, you are going to have so much fancy **** that your car won't even make it past the driveway. Fancy that !!!!!!

This is what got your car into the state it is in. Fancy this fancy that. Just had to have a camshaft.....Oooooooh.
Your car ran great before you started adding fancy stuff, and yet you want to add more fancy stuff.

Because if you don't, you are going to have so much fancy **** that your car won't even make it past the driveway. Fancy that !!!!!!
I'm totally fudged! The only thing Factory under the hood of my car is the block and the main caps.... I must thank my lucky stars it runs perfect and stays cool...

I'm totally fudged! The only thing Factory under the hood of my car is the block and the main caps.... I must thank my lucky stars it runs perfect and stays cool...

Well, you know what the hell you are doing. I think :steering:

Because if you don't, you are going to have so much fancy **** that your car won't even make it past the driveway.

I'll answer the questions in order.

1. Oul pan... fancy oil pan as in one tbat holds more quarts, because. 1. More oil = stays cooler longer (theoretically). 2. Mine has dents in it... lol.

2. Honestly if I could turn back time I would still do the camshaft swap.

I learned so much taking the car apart, met an amazing person, fixed things on the car that needed fixed (brakes), added console, installed radiator, rebuilt transmission.... and most importantly found out my car may an underlying electrical problem. I always thought since day 1 that I had an electric fuel pump, because when I turn the key to the on position I heard a buzzing sound. That buzzing sound ended up being the coil firing prematurely. So in the end, if that electrical problem is the culprit, even if i didn't do the cam swap I could have had the same issue or worse. just without a new camshaft, lifters, radiator, brake lines, console, and most importantly met a Friend.

Without A/c the car is a disaster to drive in 120 degree heat, so I may not have driven the car that much over the summer anyways? Maybe 1x a week?

I am fixing the car as I go, one step at a time. I love working on this car, love all the knowledge that I learn from people here. Its all about the journey to getting to where you want to be. It may just frustrate some (maybe you and others?) that I'm always asking questions on how to fix something, but I'm always grateful for the help from those who choose to help. :thumbsup:

Well, you know what the hell you are doing. I think :steering:

Maybe one day, if i keep asking lots of questions, keep learning how to do things, and learning how to fix the problems in these old cars; I can be thought of as one of the people who "know what the hell they are doing" as well. We all have to learn somewhere; some people learned from their dads, some the neighbor across the street, some went to school for it and others like me are being a pest to all the old grumpy guys on FABO.

1. Oul pan... fancy oil pan as in one tbat holds more quarts, because. 1. More oil = stays cooler longer (theoretically). 2. Mine has dents in it... lol.

I learned so much taking the car apart, met an amazing person, fixed things on the car that needed fixed (brakes), added console, installed radiator, rebuilt transmission.... and most importantly found out my car may an underlying electrical problem. I always thought since day 1 that I had an electric fuel pump, because when I turn the key to the on position I heard a buzzing sound. That buzzing sound ended up being the coil firing prematurely. So in the end, if that electrical problem is the culprit, even if i didn't do the cam swap I could have had the same issue or worse. just without a new camshaft, lifters, radiator, brake lines, console, and most importantly met a Friend.

Without A/c the car is a disaster to drive in 120 degree heat, so I may not have driven the car that much over the summer anyways? Maybe 1x a week?

I am fixing the car as I go, one step at a time. I love working on this car, love all the knowledge that I learn from people here. Its all about the journey to getting to where you want to be. It may just frustrate some (maybe you and others?) that I'm always asking questions on how to fix something, but I'm always grateful for the help from those who choose to help. :thumbsup:

The problem with fancy pans these days is that so many of them leak at their welds. Choose carefully or buy a used one from someone trustworthy.

Unless you have an oil temp issue (ir thermometer would be handy here), a bigger pan usually just means a lighter wallet and more to crush on speedbumps.
A larger oil filter (there are some ridiculously large ones out there, not sure what would fit though) can add capacity without reducing clearance.

Fixing the ac will let you enjoy it a lot more often though. A good electric fan with no other changes would likely fix your warm running for good. Just don't use a random parts store fan that zip ties through the rad..

Doesn't frustrate me, its not my car. I would think you would be frustrated because you use to be able to drive it. But if the journey is what you are into, journey on. :thumbsup:

Maybe one day, if i keep asking lots of questions, keep learning how to do things, and learning how to fix the problems in these old cars; I can be thought of as one of the people who "know what the hell they are doing" as well. We all have to learn somewhere; some people learned from their dads, some the neighbor across the street, some went to school for it and others like me are being a pest to all the old grumpy guys on FABO.

I think you already do simply because you do listen. That's the biggest thing.

Doesn't frustrate me, its not my car. I would think you would be frustrated because you use to be able to drive it. But if the journey is what you are into, journey on. :thumbsup:

I mean yea who wouldn't get frustrated when their car isnt working the way they want it too?

I carry around kids with me when I drive the car. I'd rather it not only be a cool old purple car, but a cool old purple car that isn't going to leave my kids an I stranded as well. If I replace all the neglected parts and systems its that much more safe and enjoyable for the family.

I think this thread is went absolutely perfect. With standing the name calling event which was just the usual suspect..
If I'm to interpret correctly dentaldart has a complete grasp on all the advice was given and plenty to sort out. Has that a great time with us poking at each other a little bit and the few derailments for fun... but in the end has a few simple inexpensive tricks to try the next time he gives it a try...

-
Back