Percolation? Heat soak? Don't drive during summer??

-
Is this tape kind of line the rubber tape that you can get in the welding section?

Not sure I've seen that. It's just like electrical tape, but no glue. Same thickness and everything, but comes in multiple widths. I use 3/4 or 1" wide, but I've seen some wider stuff advertised.

Could be. Says adhesive in the title, so I'd be leery. Plus that looks even spendier than my first link! Lol

That price is for 100 rolls. I missed the adhesive part though.

Google.....Automotive Vinyl Wire Harness Tape.

They make harness tape in vinyl and cloth. I prefer vinyl.

Ebay has 2 rolls for $10. You should be able to find it elsewhere for that price.
Oreillys, AutoZone,Pepboys should all carry it.

So the new edelbrock thermostat didn't fit into the housing, it was to small.

I did see that the thermostat I put in last year was a 180 degree thermostat. The coolant was also super clean when I dumped it out.

So ill fill it will new coolant and see what the car does. :thumbsup:

Oil change weekend complete.

20200927_150139.jpg

So the new edelbrock thermostat didn't fit into the housing, it was to small.

I did see that the thermostat I put in last year was a 180 degree thermostat. The coolant was also super clean when I dumped it out.

So ill fill it will new coolant and see what the car does. :thumbsup:

Oil change weekend complete.

View attachment 1715602253

Yeah, Chrysler has special thermostats. I have a Stewart high flow stat that I plan to eventually modify to fit the Chrysler housing.
In fact, I found it in my redneck barn last week so I may do that fairly soon. Hopefully my torch doesn't kill the thermal element in the Stewart thermostat :eek:

regarding the gas talk earlier in the thread, is this stuff any good? Is "CD2 super concentrated lead substitute." You add it to unleaded gas. I found it in my trunk when I bought the car but never used it. Would it help out with anything, or is it a waste?

Also I dont think lil Rose would help with making the gas better but she wanted to hang out in the garage with me while I'm cleaning it up before taking the car out.

20200927_161425.jpg

regarding the gas talk earlier in the thread, is this stuff any good? Is "CD2 super concentrated lead substitute." You add it to unleaded gas. I found it in my trunk when I bought the car but never used it. Would it help out with anything, or is it a waste?

Also I dont think lil Rose would help with making the gas better but she wanted to hang out in the garage with me while I'm cleaning it up before taking the car out.

View attachment 1715602354

I’ve used it and it’s good stuff. But you only need it if you need it. If you don’t, or you use too much it will lead foul the plugs.

Yeah, unless you've got some pinging or the engine runs when you shut it off.. I would avoid it.

I’ve used it and it’s good stuff. But you only need it if you need it. If you don’t, or you use too much it will lead foul the plugs.

Awesome thank you :thankyou:. I'll just keep it on the shelf of fluids as I dont think I need it. :thumbsup:

Good news everyone!!!!

I just took the car out, its 90 degrees outside right now in Las Vegas. Starting the car up the coil wasnt freaking out and the tach is hooked all the way up. I drove for about 30 minutes, not many stops, mainly between 35-70mph (mph is just a guess based off other cars since I didnt hook up my speedo). My car didn't stall once and the temp stayed at 190 degrees the whole time.

I guess I'll drive it a couple more times when its different temperatures outside and see what happens!

Thanks for all of your help in helping me narrow down the problem and getting it fixed!

..... now I just need to figure out my shift points on the transmission... i hate them after rebuilding the transmission, new rebuilt tc and tf2 kit on a 73+ valve body. I know its supposed to be 18mph 1-2 shift and 28 2-3 shift. But the 1-2 shift is garbage and can barely be felt then the 2-3 shift seems like it happens really quickly and is hard (I want them both hard shifts, I drilled the vb to coffee spiller mode...)

Good news everyone!!!!

I just took the car out, its 90 degrees outside right now in Las Vegas. Starting the car up the coil wasnt freaking out and the tach is hooked all the way up. I drove for about 30 minutes, not many stops, mainly between 35-70mph (mph is just a guess based off other cars since I didnt hook up my speedo). My car didn't stall once and the temp stayed at 190 degrees the whole time.

I guess I'll drive it a couple more times when its different temperatures outside and see what happens!

Thanks for all of your help in helping me narrow down the problem and getting it fixed!

..... now I just need to figure out my shift points on the transmission... i hate them after rebuilding the transmission, new rebuilt tc and tf2 kit on a 73+ valve body. I know its supposed to be 18mph 1-2 shift and 28 2-3 shift. But the 1-2 shift is garbage and can barely be felt then the 2-3 shift seems like it happens really quickly and is hard (I want them both hard shifts, I drilled the vb to coffee spiller mode...)
I missed something
What fixed the car from stalling? and over heating?

Is that electric tape on the coil wire?

Yes... It felt like the wire was a little loose in the boot, so i just taped the end of it to hold it in place. There aren't any cuts, burns or marks on the wire the tape just holds it still. I could probably take it off and the wire would be just fine, I just put it there as a "precaution." Maybe I should invest in some fancy wires... I liked the yellow accel wires a lot, the blue napa wires are just OK.

I missed something
What fixed the car from stalling? and over heating?

Well I think all the stop and go made it run a little warmer (208ish). All I did was change the coolant today...

The stalling seems to be caused by a loose wire from the ecm to the coil; I replaced the wire connectors on the wires that hook up to the coil, replaced the ECU and replaced the ballast resistor.

Good news everyone!!!!

AWESOME!

Getting the trans to work right I think will take a proper pressure gauge. I'm not an expert on auto transmissions at all, not in any way, but when I was running my 904 I had a similar thing going on. The 1-2 was soft and sometimes I didn't even notice it shifted, but then it would bark into 3rd.

Might be a good idea to start a new thread in the transmission forum and ask for some guidance on fine tuning. I'm sure your local helper member can probably give some good guidance too!

Also, don't stress the mph on the shift, rpm will translate better to your modified stall and camshaft. Optimum shift points will depend on what your power curve looks like and rear end gear - but I don't think you're so far from stock to complete ignore the OEM recommendations.

Yes... It felt like the wire was a little loose in the boot, so i just taped the end of it to hold it in place. There aren't any cuts, burns or marks on the wire the tape just holds it still. I could probably take it off and the wire would be just fine, I just put it there as a "precaution." Maybe I should invest in some fancy wires... I liked the yellow accel wires a lot, the blue napa wires are just OK.
Most likely has the wrong boot on that end of the coil wire ,i.e. 9mm boot on a 8mm wire. If the wires are in good shape just source the correct boot.
I like/use MSD wires they come in black or red.

Last edited:
Well I think all the stop and go made it run a little warmer (208ish). All I did was change the coolant today...

The stalling seems to be caused by a loose wire from the ecm to the coil; I replaced the wire connectors on the wires that hook up to the coil, replaced the ECU and replaced the ballast resistor.
I hope I am wrong but I doubt just changing the coolant cured you of over heating. Keep drilling Doc
Nice job troubleshooting the wiring issue they can be tough.

Most likely has the wrong boot on that end of the coil wire ,i.e. 9mm boot on a 8mm wire. If the wires are in good shape just source the correct boot.
I like/use MSD wires they come in black or red.

Its the boot that came with the napa wires...

Another reason the car may be fixed just popped into my head...

I cut my hair into a mullet... before I had nice clean cut haircut, now its a mullet. So maybe the car was just wanting the person who drives it to look the part of owning an old muscle car.

I hope I am wrong but I doubt just changing the coolant cured you of over heating. Keep drilling Doc
Nice job troubleshooting the wiring issue they can be tough.

Well the coolant may have been more water than coolant before I flushed it today. When we did the break in we only used water in the engine (just in case any leaks). Then when i started fine tuning the trans I didnt do a perfect 50/50 split of coolant/water ratio. So today I fixed that.

It was also only 90 degrees outside tonight while driving, I kept my speeds up, and didn't stop as much. So probably a conglomerate of things contributing to having a cooler engine tonight.

-
Back