Percolation? Heat soak? Don't drive during summer??

-
You definitely want the ECU to be grounded properly.
Some of the ECU'S are painted front and back. Take a screwdriver and scrape the paint off the 2 bolt mounting areas on the back of the ECU. And then, take the same screw driver and scrape the paint off the car where the ECU mounts. Only scrape the paint off the car where the ECU will cover.
This will give you a nice ground.

On my slant car, I added a ground jumper wire, for a good ground.

View attachment 1715601538

Look how clean that is! I'll definitely scrape off the paint from the ecm and body under the ecm.

I just finished up servicing my wifes car.

20200926_133658.jpg

20200926_133637.jpg

And, at every connection, place a bit of dielectric grease. It will stop any corrosion or rust from causing the connections to go bad eventually.

Last edited:
And, at every connection, place a bit of dielectric grease. It will stop ant corrosion or rust from causing the connections to go bad eventually.

Will grab some right now.

The car fires up every time no problem. Im going to grab a new wire connector for that black and yellow wire, then try to take the car for a little jaunt.

You definitely want the ECU to be grounded properly.
Some of the ECU'S are painted front and back. Take a screwdriver and scrape the paint off the 2 bolt mounting areas on the back of the ECU. And then, take the same screw driver and scrape the paint off the car where the ECU mounts. Only scrape the paint off the car where the ECU will cover.
This will give you a nice ground.

On my slant car, I added a ground jumper wire, for a good ground.

View attachment 1715601538

You suck. All your under hood stuff is beautiful. Come do mine.

Changed the sire connectors and put some electrical tape around the connectors. Also taped up some of the wire harness that I could reach.

20200926_165906.jpg

20200926_165850.jpg

Changed the sire connectors and put some electrical tape around the connectors. Also taped up some of the wire harness that I could reach.

View attachment 1715601689

View attachment 1715601690

Try not to use electrical tape to wrap the harness. There's a wrap tape which has no adhesive that makes far less mess when you remove it, or when it gets heated. You pull it tight and it also shrinks slightly with exposure to heat. Works great! The ends are typically affixed with adhesive tape though to prevent unraveling. I like to use the fabric stuff though, looks like hockey tape. It holds better to itself and doesn't become gooey or slimy over time.

Try not to use electrical tape to wrap the harness. There's a wrap tape which has no adhesive that makes far less mess when you remove it, or when it gets heated. You pull it tight and it also shrinks slightly with exposure to heat. Works great! The ends are typically affixed with adhesive tape though to prevent unraveling. I like to use the fabric stuff though, looks like hockey tape. It holds better to itself and doesn't become gooey or slimy over time.

You gotta link?

I used black hockey tape to re-wrap an entire wiring harness for a 1991 vw gti that I had a long time ago. That stuff works good.

I was just trying to clean up some of the wires from the ecm. They were all just flopping around.

I have some plastic tubing stuff to stuff the wiring harness in and clean up the entire engine bay. I just need to get the small circumference one as well for where there aren't as many wires.

I used a vinyl electric tape for those spots today. Went out and snapped a picture for you.

20200926_210505.jpg

I used a vinyl electric tape for those spots today. Went out and snapped a picture for you.

View attachment 1715601827

Ahhhh, yeah. That's the good stuff. I've rarely had that cause much issue. That said, I just hate dealing with wires covered in adhesive so I switched to the non adhesive stuff for long wraps and then use the super 33 to close the ends (or heat shrink, if I can manage).

It really only matters if you plan to unwrap at some point to redo, replace, or reroute. If you're not going to "re" anything in the foreseeable future, then normal tape is fine.

Ahhhh, yeah. That's the good stuff. I've rarely had that cause much issue. That said, I just hate dealing with wires covered in adhesive so I switched to the non adhesive stuff for long wraps and then use the super 33 to close the ends (or heat shrink, if I can manage).

It really only matters if you plan to unwrap at some point to redo, replace, or reroute. If you're not going to "re" anything in the foreseeable future, then normal tape is fine.

Yea this super 33 is like 8 bucks a roll... for connectors I always use heat shrink connectors, then usually electric tape over them just to be safe..

I imagine like most things of the stuff on this old car.... it will get replaced at some point in the next couple years. Ill most likely get a brand new wiring harness, I only had those 2 spots with open wires, the rest of the wiring harness is actually really nice. Nothing is frayed, no melting of wires, etc. Its just the car carries kids, I want it to be at some point 100% gone through and reliable. My daughter says this is going to be her car when she gets to start driving... by that time hopefully this car is done right? And hello coronet and gts??? Lol

What's wrong with heat-shrink tubing? That's the cleanest, if you ask me.

Yea heat shrink tubing is very nice. Funny thing is, I've never actually priced it out. Its probably not to expensive to do that instead either. Does it fit over the old connectors?

View attachment 1715601827

This is why I stopped suggesting things for you. Phreakish's suggestion of harness tape is dead on. It is designed for exactly what you are doing right now. To unravel easily so you can fix wire issues. So then you go out and take a pic of exactly what not to use. I don't understand why it is so hard for you to take sound advice ?

Yea this super 33 is like 8 bucks a roll... for connectors I always use heat shrink connectors, then usually electric tape over them just to be safe..

I imagine like most things of the stuff on this old car.... it will get replaced at some point in the next couple years. Ill most likely get a brand new wiring harness, I only had those 2 spots with open wires, the rest of the wiring harness is actually really nice. Nothing is frayed, no melting of wires, etc. Its just the car carries kids, I want it to be at some point 100% gone through and reliable. My daughter says this is going to be her car when she gets to start driving... by that time hopefully this car is done right? And hello coronet and gts??? Lol

Those bare wires, it's hard to tell if they're just abraded or if they've been toasted. Might be worth cutting those sections out and soldering it back together (use some extra wire if needed). Easier to put some hear shrink on at that time too!

Do you solder? It's a good skill to have, and makes far better connections than just crimping or twisting and taping.

This is why I stopped suggesting things for you. Phreakish's suggestion of harness tape is dead on. It is designed for exactly what you are doing right now. To unravel easily so you can fix wire issues. So then you go out and take a pic of exactly what not to use. I don't understand why it is so hard for you to take sound advice ?

I did this earlier today... before there were any suggestions... and I didn't do the entire harness, just some spots to clean up and not have wires flopping around. I was at a friend's house all night until an hour or so ago, I'm currently not working on the car. Just took a picture to show what I used as far as the tape went.

You act like I dont take your advise or anyone else's ever... I bought the wix filter you just suggested a couple days ago, I got the stock metal line you suggested (albeit after a while). I have taken many suggestions from people on this site many many times...

Those bare wires, it's hard to tell if they're just abraded or if they've been toasted. Might be worth cutting those sections out and soldering it back together (use some extra wire if needed). Easier to put some hear shrink on at that time too!

Do you solder? It's a good skill to have, and makes far better connections than just crimping or twisting and taping.

I have soldered in the past, but I dont have a soldering gun.

-
Back