Perforated headliners

-

RioGrandMan

Reaction score
Good evening Gentleman,

I'm working on restoring my first car (purchased 18 years ago) a 66 barracuda. I am going to install a new headliners and I'm sure I will have more questions about how to do that properly but first off do I want a perforated or non-perforated headliner? I had a perforated one, but I was thinking the non-perforated might have a cleaner look. I live in Colorado and I don't think mosture will be an issue, but what other benifits might I be unaware of?

Thanks all.

I dont have a preference but its a ***** to get right. Heard a lot of procedures but the one I think works best is to get the thing centered, then pull the center out to the teeth over the doors and then work your way forward. The corners are the most important. Almost a 2 person job: one inside to make sure the thing is centered and one outside pulling on the headliner and hooking the teeth. Make sure you put a deadener/insulator on the ceiling prior to the headliner. Jute, Dyno-mat or that silver double sided 1/4" insulation they sell by the roll at a hardware store. The sail panels are hard to get wrinkle free, I think a blow dryer or low heat gun helps tighten things up, but test on a scrap piece to see if heat shrinks the material or makes it droop. I used a non perforated one and the creases out of the bag haunted me for months. They finally started to fade. Ill never try it again.

Over the summer mine got done.
The upholstery guy took multiple days to do it. He pulled it taught and lightly glued it. Let it sit clamped for 24hrs in heat to get wrinkles out. Came back and redid the process. He said if you pull too tight or try to get it all out at once it will mess up the seams and when it stretches you end up with wrinkles. The sail panels were a botch.
It cost $450 but worth every Dime in my humble opinion.

A4DC77DC-F75A-4FA7-BB0B-DABC7D597B91.jpeg

-
Back