Phoenix Specialty Coatings ~ Important Announcement

Is the new rate unreasonable for the quality?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Ua9DIJ1535322699.jpg

Effective September 15, 2018, the shop hourly rate will increase $5.00 per hour. All jobs arriving here on or before September 14, 2018 will be charged at the current $35.00 hourly rate.

It has been nearly three years since I had a $5 per hour increase. Utilities and supplies haven't gotten any cheaper for any of us and I have held off on this for as long as I could.

Rest assured that site Gold Members, all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces, Honored Veterans and Law Enforcement officers will continue to enjoy the labor discounts that have always been in effect!!!

Customers know that PSC is still one of (if not the) most affordable truly custom powder coating shops but with the uncompromising attention to detail and service the others lack.

Thanks to all of you these last 12 years for your business and friendship, the kind and glowing compliments and all the referrals!! I wouldn't be here without YOU and will never take you for granted.

Feel free to contact me for a quote or post up your pics of my work! I have attached a formal Poll so you can easily add your thoughts if you wish. Your input in my shop's growth was never ignored in the past and has become an intangible shop asset now. It's an honor and a privilege to be FABO's "Unofficial Official" Powder Coater :D

Leanna ~ The CudaChick
Owner/Operator
731-613-9192 between 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Central US time

http://PhoenixSpecialtyCoatings.com

My Before & After pics are out of order but they're all the same intake for Petty's museum. Sorry.

20180401_193459.jpg

20180401_185928.jpg

Message_1522438319714.jpg

20180329_131024.jpg

20180329_131013.jpg

Last edited:
How long did it take to do that manifold?

It was a bit of an oddball. Someone had almost finished polishing it a long time ago ... and they gave up and stuck it on a shelf for 15 years.

My "intake technique" is to remove all the cosmetic defects while leaving no evidence I did so. Some castings are bumpy, some are smoother, and I do my best to replicate the factory's metal finish regardless and make everything consistent.

On that SBC Performer in my post, I completely smoothed the crevices and "hard to get to spots" the polisher ignored. It was a lot of work but actually less than it would have been to recreate a typical bumpy new aluminum intake look.

But heyyyy, that one up there was for a museum car (Terry LaBonte's #44 Piedmont Airlines) and though I am my own worst critic anyway, "near perfection" was requested by my client.

I'll have to pull my invoice to answer your question. I will edit this post as soon as I get into my office.

Edit: @Jadaharabi I have attached a photo of the actual invoice.
20180828_001142-1-1.jpg

Most intakes are in the 4-7 hour range though. (See my website's FAQ for lots of info and money-saving tips.)

It was kind of amusing the shipping was #43 bucks.

Last edited:
To me this seems like tedious work. I think you are selling yourself short.
It is your business,and you are comfortable with the rate,then great!

Its a very reasonable rate,and from i have seen from the pictures and comments,your work is second to none.
To someone that appreciates quality,your rate is reasonable.

Lady of Mopar: How do you even break even ? This is exhausting work.

That's all I have done (if lucky that month anyhow) since the beginning. My problem is that I am NOT my own "Ideal Customer" according to my business owning daughter so I take issue with colleagues' claims of $200+ an hour for generic single color work.

If ya wanna throw a tip at me I won't refuse LOL!!!!!

Thanks for all your support through the years bomber! You ROCK!!

On a side note, i raise my rate every 2 years by $10.

But the family/buddy/classic car rates never change.

That's all I have done (if lucky that month anyhow) since the beginning. My problem is that I am NOT my own "Ideal Customer" according to my business owning daughter so I take issue with colleagues' claims of $200+ an hour for generic single color work.

If ya wanna throw a tip at me I won't refuse LOL!!!!!

Thanks for all your support through the years bomber! You ROCK!!
Will do ,keep the love..

How many hours of labor is involved in doing a single color? Like say, some finned aluminum covers in basic black.

I had my K member quoted locally for powder and it was $750-$1200 here in Oklahoma City. Way out of my budget so it got power washed and rattle can painted. I've often wondered how much powder coating normally costs.

You honestly should be charging more the 40.....
Whatever you're charging is what I'm gonna pay when I do my next engine. ....and not long I hope.

Jeff

You sure don't get much of anything up here for $40/hr.

Mostly morons and the always popular "dumb blank stare", but never work of any quality for even double that. Canadian $$, but even so.

I would lose more sleep over the shipping costs then your hourly charge if I needed some powdercoating done.

If it's good enough for The King.........

How many hours of labor is involved in doing a single color? Like say, some finned aluminum covers in basic black.

I had my K member quoted locally for powder and it was $750-$1200 here in Oklahoma City. Way out of my budget so it got power washed and rattle can painted. I've often wondered how much powder coating normally costs.

Straight up, it's been quite some time since I did a set in a single color. Most of my work has at least two and often more.

The FAQ Section on my website has not only a bunch of money-saving tips but tons of info (especially about valve covers) and outlines what you can expect. Basically every job is quoted individually because no two are exactly alike in metal quality or color scheme. Flat rate pricing on custom work penalizes customers more than it benefits them.

The last k-member I restored and coated was less than half of the quote you received and had a LOT of metal work (and even some welding).

Thanks for checking it out and for asking!

Mostly morons and the always popular "dumb blank stare", but never work of any quality for even double that. Canadian $$, but even so.

I would lose more sleep over the shipping costs then your hourly charge if I needed some powdercoating done.

Most customers abroad will buy new or used parts here in the states (see the website FAQ) and have them shipped direct to my shop. It was $55 US for the last set of custom MP valve covers to Alberta with $750 in insurance.

Thank you for the kind words!!! :thumbsup:

Your business has the reputation for quality to easily absorb the price increase.

IMHO you could be charging even more than you do and still retain the customer base.

I for one, wouldn’t bat an eye at the new rate.

Just 2 of several she has done for me.
Great work. Well worth it. If you have expensive guys with poor customer service and months on end of wait time, dump in the garbage can and give this wonderful women a shot.

Shipping is your only “possible” disadvantage.
But not a draw back.
By the time all is said and done, you’ll long forget the price while enjoying the finished product for years to come.
EEFD1F7A-CC94-4B2A-8D1E-B4DE0E5C4CC6.jpeg
4C954DF6-297F-438D-80D0-8C3A9E3EAE6C.jpeg
F911AA54-0816-41D3-918B-F43F263B2224.jpeg

Done 12 years ago. Still looking pretty.
And the intake has fair very well, as well.

4063C283-781A-4413-9FEE-321AC99F414A.jpeg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AGREE W/ THE ABOVE, SHIPPING COSTS ARE RUINING A LOT OF TRADE !

To me this seems like tedious work. I think you are selling yourself short.
It is your business,and you are comfortable with the rate,then great!

Its a very reasonable rate,and from i have seen from the pictures and comments,your work is second to none.
To someone that appreciates quality,your rate is reasonable.

Thank you Doug! Straight up, "tedious" is the last word I would choose to describe this thing people call my job. I LOVE bodywork, especially on aluminum, and the fact that except for a few dozen sets of Commando valve covers over the years, no two are ever exactly alike so it keeps things very interesting and dynamic. Thankfully out here in the sticks of Tennessee my overhead is low compared to big metro shops, so I have always passed those savings on to the customers rather than squirreling away zillions for my own private island or something.

$5.00 in three years. Not bad.
We broke down and raised our hourly rate for the 1st time since 2009 from $89 an hr to $92hr. We shopped around and everyone else was at or over $125hr.
People still bitched!
Had to invest a ton $ into out alignment machine for updated software ect. So we raised the $59.95 alignment to $69.95. The tire stores here want $100 or more and won't touch anything older than 1990.
We do a bunch of old cars because no one else will.
I've got one customer who doesn't seem to understand that when gas goes up, oil goes up. She says we're ripping her off at every oil change. $29.95 for filter and 5qts. We lose on that deal. She always comes back and never lets us do any of her maintenance.
Everyone's allowed to make a living, unless you got to pay that guy.

That person is invited to never come back.
I can so easily live without them or there money.

I will say this. I am not sure what the going rate for powder-coating is around here. But I do know there isn't shop around of any form operating at $35/hr. Your rate is by far more than fair. If you add the fact that customer satisfaction is actually important to you, then your far above the comparable businesses. Most places today "claim" to care about the customer. But when it comes down to it, they are all about production. That's the big business for you. You being small offer a more personal operation and will always provide a more satisfying experience to the customer. How many auto supply companies can you call and speak directly to the owner!!??

Bottom line after all that blab.......raise your rates!

As a previous and very satisfied customer, my vote is that your rates are extremely fair, and if anything ...you're selling yourself a bit short Leanna. I have some of your art here in my garage, and it was a pleasure dealing with you. :thumbsup:

-
Back