Photobucket

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I just read this on a gun forum I'm on, thought I'd toss it out there for those that use Photobucket.

Photobucket has started limiting posting to 3rd party sites (forums like this one) to people that have a non-paying account. What this means is if this forum is full of Photobucket images it will soon be a stupid cat in a box suggesting you sign up and pay a fee for membership.

Not happening to you yet? I have seen it for over a week on other sites and just thought someone wasn't paying for their subscription, but I had a free account and it worked fine, but today I got an email telling me it wouldn't be so anymore.

Here's my issue, Photobucket was only charging $9.99 for years now, however, their lag is terrible, always a site maintenance issue, and advertising. To me advertising is the biggest issue, you can't even log on without multiple ads popping up, they are all around the border, Then they have a popup for "Join Photobucket" with about four ads in it...."btw, buy our prints and canvass with your photos. Even if I paid for the service their lag and downtime is often really inconvenient. With all of the issues together I don't trust the paid membership to be any better, in fact I know about ten people from two other forums that dropped their Photobucket accounts for this very reason.

My point is, I won't be using Photobucket for any image hosting.

I also read where another image hosting site is doing similar. So we may be out of luck all the way. <shrug>

Here is an example of a thread I did with multiple pictures.
Tops ALRT Fixed Blade EDC

I didn't start this thread to dog Photobucket as much as it may sound like, they've offered me a free service for two years, but I don't think that service is worth my money with the hassle. The reason I brought it up was for fair warning as to why the photos may disappear from all of us Photobucket users and maybe other services as well.

If anyone is using a service that is simple enough and preferably no fees, or at least reliable service with fair overall value please share here. STILL that leaves many of us rebuilding broken links. I'm sure forums across the net are obviously having these same issues.

There's another thread about this.!I was a loyal photo bucket customer bit now they've done it and will be their demise

I had almost a thousand pictures on Photobucket years ago. Mostly model railroad pictures. They pissed me off way back then, so I took them all off and put them in a file on my computer. Photobucket sucked then. It still sucks.

Just like a drug dealer...

Get them hooked on free samples, then charge them when they are hooked....

I did a little more research this morning after I noticed a couple of pics on slantsix.org weren't showing up on another member's post. It was likely because he hosted his signature pic there and it shows up in EVERY post he makes. The pop up ad on Photobucket says $9.99 per month or $99.99 for the year. Just for ***** and giggles I clicked on the link and when the next page popped up, the price said $39.99 per year???? Yes, I would say things are a mess over at Photobucket.com

It's kind of ridiculous what they've done to "hold hostage" many peoples' years of work. Changing from a free service to $399 a year almost overnight is unheard of!! I know it's affected some resto threads here... :(

Dumb move IMO & hope they're forced to pay for their decision with their bottom line!! :bs_flag:

Photobucket Just Broke Billions of Photos Across the Web

$399 per year??? :(

Hell I can subscribe to many magazines and store my **** pictures at home and save money.... :p

Now explain that to the wife.... :mob:

But seriously,

I'm glad that I never used them... :icon_fU:

Hell, you can get 2 - 4 TB external hard drive for under $100 and store a butt load of pictures on them... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks like we will be going back to poloroid and photo albums again. Damn the intenet.

Looks like we will be going back to poloroid and photo albums again. Damn the intenet.

The simple solution, that works for a laptop or PC, is to get a large external hard drive and store your photos there.

If you want something mobile, get your own web space and use that, GoDaddy for instance.

I just use thumb drives and label them. Family. Car etc and keep in the safe with the guns gold and diamonds

In an exciting development, Martin Shkreli has been named CEO of Photobucket. You'll not see any change in your Photobucket experience but there may be changes in our pricing structure.
PB Press Release

FWIW.

Ken

I got a automatic reply email from a large hospital yesterday and it had SEVEN of these! I bet they had no ideal it was coming. They probably do now, lol.

unnamed.jpg

$399 per year??? :(

Hell I can subscribe to many magazines and store my **** pictures at home and save money.... :p

Now explain that to the wife.... :mob:

But seriously,

I'm glad that I never used them... :icon_fU:

Hell, you can get 2 - 4 TB external hard drive for under $100 and store a butt load of pictures on them... :thumbsup:

And upload them directly to the site.

No missing links when the person moves files or ends accounts or charges accounts.

Seriously, how many broken threads are there already because someone did what I just mentioned above?

-
Back