Pick me a perfect setup

-

joemoy29

Reaction score
70 dart b body 83/4 pst springs bilstien shocks. Front discs 73+size right stuff setup. 1.01 torsion bars. Tube control arms. I am building it to be a handilibg machine. I have a set of mustang bullit for mock up. The hubs are too small on them. But long sorry short I like that look or the torq thrust. Looking for the best setup for handling and occasional drag

The bullit's can be modified to work with the 73+ disks. The hub bore can be opened up a bit to make them fit. Members here have done it with a dremel, but I'm sure a machine shop could handle it as well. I had the hub bore on the enkei RPF1's on my Duster machined, it was $80 for the pair. But they needed more material taken out than what the bullit's need.

What B body rear axle do you have in there? They aren't all the same width. Are the leaf springs in the stock locations? There's a couple of different backspaces for the bullit rims depending on the year and the width, some of them won't work depending on which B body 8 3/4 you have. An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

I was told it's 1/2 wider each side perches were moved. I don't want to use the bullits I have they are not in good shape

Really hard to do - what works best on the street or a road course will slow you down at a drag strip. You may be able to find a compromise, but it will always be just that - you won't be as fast as you could be drag racing nor will you be as quick around corners at Lime Rock. Now if you have the $$ you can invest in two sets of tires and set up the chassis one day for straight line acceleration (loose the swaybars, put the drag race shocks in etc.) and then reset it the next to carve a corner...

Really hard to do - what works best on the street or a road course will slow you down at a drag strip. You may be able to find a compromise, but it will always be just that - you won't be as fast as you could be drag racing nor will you be as quick around corners at Lime Rock. Now if you have the $$ you can invest in two sets of tires and set up the chassis one day for straight line acceleration (loose the swaybars, put the drag race shocks in etc.) and then reset it the next to carve a corner...

Fact, it's very hard to be good at both. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I say your plan is acceptable, but I would invest in NICE adjustable shocks for front and rear, so you can adjust the front full loose and rear stiff for the drag strip days... the bilsteins are great shocks, but they're not gonna do what you need at the strip.

Joe

I was told it's 1/2 wider each side perches were moved. I don't want to use the bullits I have they are not in good shape

Go out and measure it yourself. Measure perch to perch and measure drum to drum or flange to flange (for whatever current state of rear is).

Is the rear in you car now? Have you tried mocking up you bullit rims now; front and rear?

How wide of tires do you want front and rear? Largest, 245-255, 275 ?

Fact, it's very hard to be good at both. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I say your plan is acceptable, but I would invest in NICE adjustable shocks for front and rear, so you can adjust the front full loose and rear stiff for the drag strip days... the bilsteins are great shocks, but they're not gonna do what you need at the strip.

Joe
I like it - suffice to say, no one set up is going do it all really well

-
Back