Picked up another 4x4 - '77 F250

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I know, I know, not a Mopar, but I know some of you on here like these old trucks.
I already have a nice '75 Ford, factory Highboy, but couldn't pass up this one. I've known about this truck for 10 years, its been sitting in the same spot for years. I was in mine and thought, I'm finally going to stop and talk to the owner. Not to buy, but just to look and talk about it. Just so happened the owner and his wife had brought up selling it the night before. So they offered it to me for a price I (or nobody) could refuse.
I poured some gas in the tank and down the carb and it fired right up. It needs a bit of work but I drove it around town for a couple hours after spraying the grime off. These pictures are before washing it.

Plan is to do bodywork and clean it up all together.

'77 F250
400, 4 speed, mated T case
Dana 60/Dana 44, front discs, sway bars front and rear
Dual tanks
PTO winch - it works
BRAND NEW 100% tread 35" BF All Terrains
Cool rare tool box in great shape on the pass side of box
Came with a pile of extra parts

Nice. The 400 is the best engine Ford ever made, IMO. Also their last pushrod V8.

not a ford fan, but that would make a great winterbeater
pretty sweet looking truck

how is the traction with that front bumper pulling the rear wheels of the ground?

I don't have much experience with the 400, but the 390 in my '75 has some serious balls compared to this thing. Mind you, it's a high compression motor out of a '67 Fairlane GTA.

I mean by sheer design. The Ford 400 was the first 400 cube small block. They beat Chevy out of the gate. Also, Ford used a superior Cleveland style canted valve head. They were used in literally everything Ford made except smaller cars from 1970 to 1982.

A lot of people mistakenly call them big blocks, but they are not. They share the same bellhousing pattern as the 460, but they have the same head bolt pattern and bore spacing as all the Windsor small blocks. The Windsor cranks will even fit in the block, but of course will not work, because the mains are way too small. However, the Ford boys have been strokin 351W engines with the 4" 400 cranks for a long time. They have serious untapped power potential.

That 400 Small block is a good engine. Rev's nicely. with a 4 speed with compound low, will pull anything you need it to.

It was the last push rod V8 designed by ford.. Till the 6.7 powerstroke Diesel.

mmm 351M/400 brings back memories of my 79 f150...my buddies 72 barracuda 340/4spd could not take me at35mph on up....We both were not stock.

-
Back