Picked up another one - 68 Valiant

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I heard about a '67 Barracuda sitting in the bush so I went and checked it out. There was also a '65 Savoy 2 dr post ('65 Fury for you guys south of us), a '65 New Yorker sedan, and a 1st gen Plymouth Horizon. Turns out the guy wanted a little too much for them all, but we worked out a deal on this '68 Valiant 100 sedan. Upon closer inspection, turns out the front frame rails, shock towers and floors are rotted out, so it'll be a parts car. That's OK, it didn't come with keys or registration either. But it did come with a '70 318, cast intake, extra 360 heads, clean valve covers, and some 904/727 cores.

Here's after getting it home. It's got a build sheet and fender tag. Power steering and power brakes were the only option. Both bumpers were beautiful until the front one caught the trailer coming off.. Still upset about that. Pretty good front clip, quarters are savable, rally dash (??), really nice gold bench interior, beautiful trunk lid, seems to be tinted windows all around, nice stainless, tail lights, grills, and a potentially running slant (I'll find out tomorrow).

Nice, you got one of the ones with the rally! Apparently a few did come with them due to line shortages. Good score. Too bad about the bumper though.

That ralley dash is awesome if that car was a 2 door I would Really hate you. I lust after a 68 2 door and I would be extremely envious.

There's a TSB on http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ that describes the Rallye dash being installed in some 68 Valiant's due to parts shortage.

70DartMike, do you have a picture of the finish trim over the glove compartment box?

68-25-2.jpg

Hi, it seems that it has got the same interior than my 68.....what about the armrest pads, are these tan? I´d like to have a good one for the drivers side. Please let me know.

Michael

There's a TSB on http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ that describes the Rallye dash being installed in some 68 Valiant's due to parts shortage.

70DartMike, do you have a picture of the finish trim over the glove compartment box?

68-25-2.jpg

I'll get you a pic tomorrow, but it doesn't read anything, it's blank.

Thanks for the info guys, that's really cool that few came with the rally dash, I didn't know that.

Hey Mike

That looks like adjustable valve gear on that teener, better get in side someone might have put a forged crank in that at some time to.

You do know that you don't have to save EVERY mopar in the world don't you? Nice to see that there are people out there saving old cars from the crusher.

Nice score Mike! Yes, looks like 273 adjustable valvetrain on that small block, they are desirable. Also check those valve covers, they may be early 340 covers, hard to find in decent shape.

Decoded the fender tag, turns out it was specially ordered. Weird since it literally has almost zero options.

CAR: Plymouth Valiant 4 Door Sedan
ENGINE: 225cid Slant Six
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: April 04.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: , Vinyl Split Bench Seats.
PAINT: Monotone Medium Gold Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Medium Tan Metallic Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
H1: Power Brakes

abc OPTIONS:
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)
w6: Build to Spec's for Canada

mine has w6 also...my order number is about 700 before yours...whoops thought that was the sold car code...mine doesn't have the u1

No radio ordered.

Would love to see/own the radio "delete" plate for that.

IMG_20150724_100632_zpsmiljzt8b.jpg

I just figured someone cut it out for a stereo?

Anyways, here's more pics. I ran the numbers on the extra heads, they're 273 heads. The bumper cleaned up really well, but it's spoken for locally.

Before and after of rear bumper.

Doug, here's the quarter.

-
Back