Picked up the Keller family Driver's Ed $1000 vehicle deal of the day, today

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So Josh is 15, just 12 days ago. His little sister is right behind him at 12-1/2. The original plan was to teach Josh how to drive in the Shelby Dakota, like Jake did 11 yrs ago, and if it survives Josh, it would then be Jess's turn in 2.5 years.

Well, all that changed today. Picked up this little gem for $1k. 2003 Dakota, 4x4, auto trans, has the non-LA small v8 in it. 127k miles on the clock. Headliner has fallen and the rear bumper did not survive a parking pylon. A few expected cosmetic imperfections, but otherwise 100% presentable, drivable, and the perfect size to learn to drive in while we build Josh's 73 Dart Sport (y'all have seen Fred in my other posts, I'm sure)

Oh yeah - bought it from the original owner who gave me every available factory service manual, and because I'm a Mopar guy he gave me an original purple "Beep-beep" horn.

(Lamp post not included in the sale)

noname.jpg

So Josh is 15, just 12 days ago. His little sister is right behind him at 12-1/2. The original plan was to teach Josh how to drive in the Shelby Dakota, like Jake did 11 yrs ago, and if it survives Josh, it would then be Jess's turn in 2.5 years.

Well, all that changed today. Picked up this little gem for $1k. 2003 Dakota, 4x4, auto trans, has the non-LA small v8 in it. 127k miles on the clock. Headliner has fallen and the rear bumper did not survive a parking pylon. A few expected cosmetic imperfections, but otherwise 100% presentable, drivable, and the perfect size to learn to drive in while we build Josh's 73 Dart Sport (y'all have seen Fred in my other posts, I'm sure)

Oh yeah - bought it from the original owner who gave me every available factory service manual, and because I'm a Mopar guy he gave me an original purple "Beep-beep" horn.

(Lamp post not included in the sale)

View attachment 1716080441
Perfect Both of my kids drove my Dakota's until they were able to buy their own cars.

Last edited:
Nice

I taught my boy to drive in my old superdookie, 1 ton plow truck

There was no way he was gonna damage that

Did the MVA thing yesterday for tags and title. Took a whole 6 minutes. My oldest son dropped me off at the truck on his way to work this morning. I drove the Dakota 40 minutes home and fully realize now that I practically stole this thing. Absolutely the best $1000 at one time on a vehicle I have ever spent.

So the guy that sold me the Dakota sent me a pic of his replacement truck. I kinda chuckled at the same shot in the same spot with the same lamp post in the way.... He's a pretty cool dude.
20230512_064949__1__720.jpg

Update on the Driver's Ed vehicle... It will now be in full use. No more illegal lessons on the back roads. I took Josh to the MVA to get his permit yesterday. Official one comes in the mail in about a week.

20240108_162002.jpg

Way to go Josh! :thumbsup: :steering:

If the headliner is bugging you, it's easy to fix. Harder to get all the other interior stuff out than it is to fix it....lol. Susan & I removed and recovered the one in our Dakota crew cab. I'd recommend going to the Dodge dealer and buying 2 of the plastic nail/button head clips that hold it above the back window, before you start. Any good sized fabric outlet should have foam backed headliner material. There's a fiberglass form up under it that it glues to after you strip all the old crap off. Don't use the spray bomb glue like I did! :BangHead: Get some of the good stuff from the link below and a cheap throw away siphon feed spray gun from Harbor Freight.

-
Back