Picking an Exhaust and Mufflers

-
I don't remember where I read the article. But somebody did a dyno test between H pipe and X pipe and the H actually made more torque. As for the 3 inch exhaust, that's overkill. Unless of course it's a single. If your going duals I don't recommend going above 2 1/2 inch. I know I'm gonna hear it from some guys, but everyone always Over carbs, Over cams, and Oversizes their exhaust. Bigger isn't always better. As for mufflers, I like the turbo style muffler. It's not very loud unless you romp on it. I always thought they sounded better than a chambered muffler anyway. But I haven't used but a few manufacturers for mufflers so I wouldn't really be able to recommend a specific brand.

Well, right now I'll be making about 400 whp. That's probably around 475 hp at the crank. I do have plans of bumping the horsepower in the future as well. So, is a 3" exhaust really overkill?

Well, right now I'll be making about 400 whp. That's probably around 475 hp at the crank. I do have plans of bumping the horsepower in the future as well. So, is a 3" exhaust really overkill?

a lot of air in, a lot of air out . go w/ the 3" .....

I don't remember where I read the article. But somebody did a dyno test between H pipe and X pipe and the H actually made more torque. As for the 3 inch exhaust, that's overkill. Unless of course it's a single. If your going duals I don't recommend going above 2 1/2 inch. I know I'm gonna hear it from some guys, but everyone always Over carbs, Over cams, and Oversizes their exhaust. Bigger isn't always better. As for mufflers, I like the turbo style muffler. It's not very loud unless you romp on it. I always thought they sounded better than a chambered muffler anyway. But I haven't used but a few manufacturers for mufflers so I wouldn't really be able to recommend a specific brand.

I'm 100% in agreement with this one. 2 1/2 inch is all you will ever NEED... If you developed an engine that needed more, it wouldn't be able to hook up anyway on anything but slicks, so not good for Autocross/Track days. Not to mention the hassle of making it fit. A lot of Autocrosses / Track days also have a 93DB limit. Good luck with your Magnaflows and Flowmasters and 93DB. Half the guys I beat at Qualcomm have to lift / not accelerate near the noise sensor. Me and my Cheapy Turbo Mufflers just floor it and go for the win...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 215

I make 314hp at the wheels and 450ft/lbs at the wheels. I run 3" and 11.70's @114 through the mufflers on street tires. I don't think it's overkill at al. When I went to 2" TI's and 3" pipes the car ran better from idel to WOT.

I'm 100% in agreement with this one. 2 1/2 inch is all you will ever NEED... If you developed an engine that needed more, it wouldn't be able to hook up anyway on anything but slicks, so not good for Autocross/Track days. Not to mention the hassle of making it fit. A lot of Autocrosses / Track days also have a 93DB limit. Good luck with your Magnaflows and Flowmasters and 93DB. Half the guys I beat at Qualcomm have to lift / not accelerate near the noise sensor. Me and my Cheapy Turbo Mufflers just floor it and go for the win...

Nobody ever listens to me, everyone always thinks bigger is better. It's a common mentality. Especially when driven on the street where low rpm and part throttle is most of the time. You can't drive WOT all the time.

Any thoughts about going 3" from the headers through the X-pipe and mufflers, but 2.5" over the axle and the tailpipes (which are easier to fit above the axle and next to the leafs)? The gases are cooler and don't take up as much volume so a smaller pipe should keep them moving along...?

Cooler gasses, assuming they aren't inert gasses, will shrink with temperature but are harder to move.

I would not shrink the exhaust as you go further away from he headers. Take it from the big 3. They do the exact opposite. They go bigger as you move back as does the after market.

Any thoughts about going 3" from the headers through the X-pipe and mufflers, but 2.5" over the axle and the tailpipes (which are easier to fit above the axle and next to the leafs)? The gases are cooler and don't take up as much volume so a smaller pipe should keep them moving along...?
I'm not so sure about stepping down. But stepping up in pipe size as you go back is a tuning method to suppress the effects of reversion. Although I think you would need a dyno to tune where these steps need to be in your exhaust. Here is some information on another thread. It goes a little more in depth. http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39283

I'm not so sure about stepping down. But stepping up in pipe size as you go back is a tuning method to suppress the effects of reversion. Although I think you would need a dyno to tune where these steps need to be in your exhaust. Here is some information on another thread. It goes a little more in depth. http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39283

-
Back