picking out a cam and valve springs for 318 build

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I am working rebuilding my stock 318 out of my 70 swinger running a 904 with a 8.75 with 3:55 gears. I am currently working on porting a set of 302 casting heads to 360 port sizes, and working on all the rough casting areas. I am planning on ordering a set of 1.88 intakes and 1.60 exhaust valves this week. I also plan on running the KB 167 pistons and a edelbrock airgap intake on this build.

What i would like to do is order valve springs so i can just have the heads assembled when i take them in to have the valve job done. I really dont have any experience using aftermarket cams/springs but i figured it is probley best to buy a cam kit with the springs/lifters/cam and timing chain that match from the manufacture. That is why i am looking for a cam at this moment.

I am kinda thinking about running the Comp Xtreme Energy 268 cam that was used in the hot rod mag build. Is this cam going to be a decent street cam or should i be looking into something else?? Any suggestions?? This is my first performance build, i have rebuilt engines before but pretty much only back to stock form or very mild upgrades.

Thanks
Mark

I think youre on the right track; although i would go with the howards cam thats about the same size as the comp you picked out only its 267/267, .501/.501 lift on a 108 lsa. Thats also quite a but of intake for a 318, iv youre not upping to. 340 or 360 later you may be better off with a rpm or a stealth

Extreme energy cams are great, but I like lunati's voodoo line. I would chose one of the smaller ones they offer.

I think youre on the right track; although i would go with the howards cam thats about the same size as the comp you picked out only its 267/267, .501/.501 lift on a 108 lsa. Thats also quite a but of intake for a 318, iv youre not upping to. 340 or 360 later you may be better off with a rpm or a stealth

Presume you mean Performer or Stealth? The RPM is virtually identical to the Air Gap except for the, um, air gap.

I am working rebuilding my stock 318 out of my 70 swinger running a 904 with a 8.75 with 3:55 gears. I am currently working on porting a set of 302 casting heads to 360 port sizes, and working on all the rough casting areas. I am planning on ordering a set of 1.88 intakes and 1.60 exhaust valves this week. I also plan on running the KB 167 pistons and a edelbrock airgap intake on this build.
This is a great foundation for a powerful teen.

What i would like to do is order valve springs so i can just have the heads assembled when i take them in to have the valve job done. I really dont have any experience using aftermarket cams/springs but i figured it is probley best to buy a cam kit with the springs/lifters/cam and timing chain that match from the manufacture. That is why i am looking for a cam at this moment.

This is absolutely the best way to do things.

I am kinda thinking about running the Comp Xtreme Energy 268 cam that was used in the hot rod mag build. Is this cam going to be a decent street cam or should i be looking into something else?? Any suggestions?? This is my first performance build, i have rebuilt engines before but pretty much only back to stock form or very mild upgrades.

Thanks
Mark

It should be very streetable, well mannered and IMO a good size cam well matched for this build. Some extra stall in the converter would help matters. If that is not n the plan, then the cam @ 218* intake duration should be considered since it can use the stock converter.

Before you purchase the cam, have your heads done and flow test them to see what they flow and where they stall or fall. Find out where the peak flow in the heads are for both intake and exhaust.

IMO, when you know this, then and only then can you search for a cam to bring out the full power abilty of the combo. For my street machines/light racers, I like to get a cam that has the valve lifting to the heads stall point. If air stops flowing well at .550, then my cam goes to .550. No sense in going passed this point for a high performance ride IMO.

You'll also know the balance between the intake and exhaust ports. This can help in just how much extra exhaust duration you can use. weaker exhaust ports can use8* or more duration while stronger/closer flow between ports can use less than *8. The better they are, the less you can use.

Remember, off the shelf cams can be put to the side. Instead get a custom shaft for little extra cost but a nice return is what you'll get.

Thanks for the input guys i pretty much have the exhaust ports ready to go now. I have the intakes ported on one head so have a little work left to go on intakes and trying to smooth out the bowls. After i get it flow tested i will post the results and make sure i get a cam that will work best for me. thanks
mark

-
Back