Pics of "cam checking jigs".....

-

Two7T3Dart

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads about guys not knowing what their cam specs are, and members suggesting that they use a "cam checking jig" to find out exactly what they have. Can members post pics of what setup they use to measure a camshaft? I'd like to build something at home as I have several cams of unknown specs.

best "jig" is a bare block. Otherwise, workbench and V blocks. for what u are doing you can make v out of wood, even. and, good dial indicator

Here is the stuff I use....as shown I have a dial indicator and bridge to find TDC..

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 282
Thanks...I don't have a spare block hanging around, which is why I was asking for pics of a bench-top jig of some sort to measure these cams I have on the shelf.

Thanks...I don't have a spare block hanging around, which is why I was asking for pics of a bench-top jig of some sort to measure these cams I have on the shelf.

I make mine out of two pieces of 1x4. Make simple V cuts in them, screw them to a couple of 1x4 flat for "feet" so it will stand up. Throw the cam in the "V's and measure the lift. That's all you can do outside the engine, unless you have some pretty sophisticated equipment.

I make mine out of two pieces of 1x4. Make simple V cuts in them, screw them to a couple of 1x4 flat for "feet" so it will stand up. Throw the cam in the "V's and measure the lift. That's all you can do outside the engine, unless you have some pretty sophisticated equipment.

Yep, a spare block is probably the best/cheapest way for us to use to check a cam.

I'm kinda feeling stupid here but, for opening and closing specs. wouldn't you need a block, crank and timing chain hooked up?

About all your gonna be able to do is check for lift with the V blocks and a dial indicator.

Oh..miss understood what he was asking...just a jig to check the cam....LOL..

-
Back