Pics of my 71 scamp!

-

plumcrazy73

Reaction score
Ok so here is the background.

Started my life in Mopars around 93 with a 75 Dart that I originally bought for my dad to drive when his car took a dump. Got the car from a local banker in the Fort Benning Georgia area. Drove it to Ohio to give to my dad. Got it back from him after he bought another car he liked better and my truck took a dump. /6 nothing special but clean it was pretty clean but did not like the beak nose point that it came to (hindsight I should have learned to live with it or just change out the front clip to one that I like, IE Duster or Demon).

Found a 73 Duster from a friends car lot. 995 dollars later it was mine. Again a /6 car.
Swapped out a few parts between the two cars, giving the Duster the better parts. Drove it like that for a bit, then put in fresh Western Auto /6, Offy 4 barrel intake, Holley 390 4 barrel carb, Clifford headers, dual 2" exaust with H pipe and Dynomax mufflers, and a Mopar performance Ingnition system with a MSD Blaster II coil. (Got 11 flat at the local track) not bad considering the 2:73 rear, unknown cam or compression. Rebuilt the complete suspension, had a friend rebuild the tranny and rebuilt the brakes. Painted it Plumcrazy (hence my name year and color of said Duster). Unfortunately I don't have any pics was not a picture taker back then and digital camera's were not around. heck I did not even have a cell phone this was 94-99 This car took me to and from Fort Benning Ga to Ohio many times a year. Then took me to Atlanta to visit with my girlfriend now wife. She drove it while I was in Korea for the year. Moved us to Fort Campbell Ky.

Wife did not like it was always jealous of it, got tired of that and it had some water leaks in the trunk that I could not find along with some in the interior. Got tired of the getting wet and getting the itch for the a V8.

I decided to find a new car, almost had a 68 Charger for 2200 sold it before I could look at it, (of course the deal must have fell through cause after I bought the Scamp the Charger gets re-listed).

Looked at a Satellite 71 was nice bit more money then I had at the time. Probably should have scrapped up the extra for this one but I guess I am a sucker for the A body seeing as how I know them more.

Found the Scamp in the Clarksville area Thrifty Nickel for 1200. This was 99, bought it about a year before I went to Hawaii for 4.5 years. Drove it around Fort Campbell for that year, eng was having issues ended up with a main bearing knock.

It drove me around till the day I put it on the trailer to put in at my father in laws garage to store till I got back from Hawaii. Was there for 4.5 years, got back and did not have the money to do anything with it. So it sat again for 5 years here.
Just got back from Iraq and I now can start to put it on the road, just got to get through a military school {ANCOC for any old timers (myself included 18+ years and counting) SLC for the newer generation of military people.} in FEB. then rebuild a fence then I will start working on it.

Needs a motor, scored a 73 Plymouth Fury III real rough body wise rust everywhere, in the (roof, areas are the worst part) along with floor boards water get in it from the roof I think when it rains. Motor and body has 38,000 miles on it from what I know of it, (runs good, does not smoke, oil looks good) I kind of think it is accurate brake pedal was not worn down much like I think it would have been had it had 138000 or more miles on it. Could be wrong but not worried it ran good did not over heat, and only paid 1000 for it.
(anyone who is interested in the car minus motor and tranny let me know, or parts let me know I do have pics and will put some in a different thread later. but if you want something before I get to that thread let me know)

Got to convert the front brakes to BBP Disc brakes found the parts and cores on EBAY.
While I am there going to redo the front suspension I have half the parts already.

Rebuild the tranny in one of them I think the Fury should have the 727 but not sure the Scamp has a 904 that works fine but the case is busted in a non crutial area so that one won't be rebuilt will evaluate it when I get to that area.

Need to replace the rear springs and shocks and freshen up the rear brakes.

Going to drop the gas tank and evaluate it hard if any doubt going to replace it.

Interior is in decent shape, carpet is ok but faded in some areas, dash pad needs replaced, on spot on the front seat. and that is about it.

Body is decent some areas one major area of bodo to take care of. Chrome bumpers needs re-chormed.

(working on attaching pics as soon as I figure out how, never had this much problems with other forums)

First off, thanks for your many years of service. I am prior service and the son of a 30 year retired Master Sergeant.

I love the car. Similar boat for me. Had a 71 duster, already did all the good stuff and ex wanted it to go......here it is 13 years later and my wife says go ahead, have one.

Would look great if it had a Sharktooth grill in it.

Been trying to find one that does not cost a grand.

Do you have or know of one that is for sale more reasonably?

I only have the one for my car, sorry can't help on that one otherwise I would. That being said I think I saw one on eBay for 500 or so, not sure but I think it is located in Florida.

plumcrazy73. Nice looking car. I work on FTCKY. Well till later this month when I get laid off. Retired here in 07 and I only know it as ANCOC. Housing not giving you crap about the Fury in the grass?
Thanks for your service

Well, if anyone watches Powerblock TV and seen the ads for the new show asking you to send in your application and story for having your Ride redone. I went ahead and sent in the application, story and pics. Well I got an email from them wanting more, and was like cool made it past the first look, I will get to it when I can.

Today I get a call from them seems they are very interested in possibly picking me as one of the people to redo their ride. They want a longer application and a video. They asked me how soon I could get it there, and I was talking to them saying that I was planning on starting to tear it down finally after all these years and was gaging their interest, I asked if I should delay doing that they said yes. Said that they had received 65000 applications and talked to 60 and I was high on their list.

So I must say thank you Lord for at least blessing me with this opportunity and with any luck maybe I may get picked. If not it was nice and a honor to at least make it past the preliminary cuts.

Going to start a second thread of this new in the General Mopar section too. Just so happy had to share.

O..... It is a 1971 Plymouth Scamp if you are wondering.

I also asked if this was one where they do what they want or do I get input, they said yes I can give my vision, said that say it is an automatic and I really wanted a manual let them know or if there is one color that I really want let them know. So that is really cool too.

Dude that kicks ***! Hope you win so I can watch the car being torn down and redone.

That would be way cool. Good luck. It would be fun to watch a project for someone we "knew". L8r

Jim

well looks like I did not make the cut at least for this season. oo well such is life. was good to even make it this far. looks like once I get the fence up and the house painted I will start my work.

-
Back