pics of my wilwood disc brake conversion

-

canner78

canner78
Reaction score
My wilwood disc brake conversion went nice and smooth the only thing i wish i knew before ordering it is that you also have to order the wilwood brake lines. everything went together super easy. a little pricy but worth it.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

wallpaper.jpg

you just use the factory drum brake spindles. they make the kit for the 9" drums (/6 cars) or the 10" drum (V8 cars) it only took me about 4 hours to do the conversion and i had never done any brake work before.

That looks really good.

Are the new rotors the small bolt pattern? How do they feel? (pedal pressure, stopping power) If you don't mind what was the price to complete the job, and where did you get them? I've been thinking about changing mine over to the disks as well.

Rich

I did the same conversion on my car, but they sent me the wrong length studs. Didn't tell me I needed special brake lines. I ended up buying safety wire pliers and wire to tie studs together. I decided while I had it all apart that I would replace every bushing, tie rod end, pitman arm which was the wrong one. It took about 3 weeks before I got all the right parts. But now that they are on I am very happy with them.

they have both small and big bolt pattern on them. pedal pressure seems good, i haven`t driven the car since the conversion, snow here. the kit was 672 dollars from summit and the brake lines were 60 from summit. make sure you get the right kit for your car. my kit is the 10" drum spindle because my car came with a v8 wilwood also sells a kit for 9" for cars that came with a /6

you will also need loctite and safety wire

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WIL-140-2723-B&N=700+0&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WIL-220-7699&N=700+0&autoview=sku

This sound like a great priced conversion better than most.
I did check Wilwoods site.
They recommend 15in wheels.
I don't know if the bolt pattern they list is a misprint but they say
4.50in. and 4.75in. it sure doesn't seem right mine are 4in. I believe.
They say it may change the wheel offset also.
Hows the offset on yours did it change much.

The stance on your car is JUST RIGHT in my opinion!
I want to get my 69 to sit the same way. I can adjust the front ride height via the torsion bar adjusters, but what deviation from stock was done to the rear of the car to get it to sit like that?
My car has the V8 rear springs as it is a 340 auto car.

Nice looking Dart right there.

George

definatley looks like a nice price... nice job man.. what till you see how much better it stops with them... they look like the set up i put on my dart..

71&

I'm a rookie, I have the original 4" bolt pattern - front drums. I wanted to get taller tires etc. Also could not buy Cragars SS because of the 5 on 4" pattern. Tired of high rev condition on Hwy and Hitting my exhaust header over every speed bump... So, I think this is my only solution ? Dart looks great!

CIMG10592.jpg

my car has the ss springs in the back. i plan on droping the front about an inch. it sits almost level now and i want a slight slope to it.

I read some other replys and they talk about a brand called Scarebird, what do you think? Your conversion looks pretty good. I might even be able to do myself. ?

Glad to hear and see that your brake conversion was successful. Looks great as does the entire car. You've got the stance of the car where I want to have mine also.

the rims on my car are 15 inch so yes a 15 inch rim will fit after the conversion. i can`t wait to drive my car, stupid snow!!!!!

IMG_0067.jpg

How well do the rotors hold up on the street. Most of the Wilwood kits are not DOT approved.

Luckily my Dart all ready has 73 and later disc up front.

mine have been on for the entire season and have been fine... as far as that DOT apporved crap goes its not all that its cracked up to be. if i remember correctly the only thing that gets DOT approved is the brake hoses... i'll bet 90% of after market stuff isn't DOT approved.

there was a post discussing it on BBD a while back. and you would really be suprised as to what is actually DOT approved . its not much.

Does this kit use the stock master cylinder? Did you add a proportioning valve for the rear brakes? Thanks Jeff

Does this kit use the stock master cylinder? Did you add a proportioning valve for the rear brakes? Thanks Jeff

i would definatley think you would want a disc style master cyl.. the calibers would hold more fluid then the wheel cyl. and i also think you would be better off putting an adjustable proportioning valve in..

-
Back