Pics of pro-touring Duster with 20s?

-
Fine... Again, not a Duster but my Dart. 18 x 9" wheels all the way around with no more than a +5mm spacer. Dr Diff Stage 4 brake kit up front with a +32mm offset and a stock width A-body 8 3/4 rear end with Dr Diff's brake kit and a +22mm offset wheel. 255/40/18's on all corners. Some trimming will be required for the back as it rubs a tad on the fender. Other than that, no modifications.

In the back do you have any "extra" room to the springs? Would a little more backspace get you clear of the quarter?

I'm getting ready to look at wheels for my '71 EL5 GT. I'd like to go with 255's all the way around, but I think 255's are going to be tight out back unless I go with a 1/2" offset kit.

Rob is that you? Dang man if you're not careful I might take that as a compliment! ;)

That's how I meant it, dumbass. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I might change my mind. LOL

In the back do you have any "extra" room to the springs? Would a little more backspace get you clear of the quarter?

I'm getting ready to look at wheels for my '71 EL5 GT. I'd like to go with 255's all the way around, but I think 255's are going to be tight out back unless I go with a 1/2" offset kit.

I spent months measuring and searching just to get the setup just perfect to fit right in the middle of the wheel well. It's tight. I don't recall, but it was something like less than .25" to the springs and maybe a tad more toward the quarter panel (but at least I can trim that). My rear end wasn't perfectly centered (factory tolerances) so with the wheel alone, the tire barely scraped the leaf spring on one side when it rotated, that's why I added 5mm spacers. Go with the offset kit and 275's or just stick with 245's.

That's how I meant it, dumbass. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I might change my mind. LOL

Lol! Thanks Rob! :D :thumbup:

I spent months measuring and searching just to get the setup just perfect to fit right in the middle of the wheel well. It's tight. I don't recall, but it was something like less than .25" to the springs and maybe a tad more toward the quarter panel (but at least I can trim that). My rear end wasn't perfectly centered (factory tolerances) so with the wheel alone, the tire barely scraped the leaf spring on one side when it rotated, that's why I added 5mm spacers. Go with the offset kit and 275's or just stick with 245's.

Yeah that pretty much goes with what I'm seeing. Possible, but everything has to be perfect and the quarter lips would probably need to be trimmed back/rolled to get the 255's under there comfortably without an offset.

For educational purposes, my '71 GT has an A-body 8 3/4 with Dr. Diff BBP axles and 11x2.5" drums. With the stock spring locations, I have 6" from the wheel mounting surface to the springs, and 5" from the wheel mounting surface to the stock quarter lip. One side has an 1/8" more the the springs, so it's pretty well centered. 11" to work with and that has to include the clearance. Most 255's have a section width of 10" to 10.2". So, it gets really close. If it's 10", there should be enough room without cutting. If it turns out to be 10.2" or smidge more, they'll need trimming.

Decisions, decisions. :-k .

Yeah that pretty much goes with what I'm seeing. Possible, but everything has to be perfect and the quarter lips would probably need to be trimmed back/rolled to get the 255's under there comfortably without an offset.

For educational purposes, my '71 GT has an A-body 8 3/4 with Dr. Diff BBP axles and 11x2.5" drums. With the stock spring locations, I have 6" from the wheel mounting surface to the springs, and 5" from the wheel mounting surface to the stock quarter lip. One side has an 1/8" more the the springs, so it's pretty well centered. 11" to work with and that has to include the clearance. Most 255's have a section width of 10" to 10.2". So, it gets really close. If it's 10", there should be enough room without cutting. If it turns out to be 10.2" or smidge more, they'll need trimming.

Decisions, decisions. :-k .

I'm running Michellin Super Sport tires. They're pretty good at everything but not the best (I have them on the front of my daily driver). They're probably somewhere around the top 10 best autocross tires, have better wear characteristics than most tires that are raced (300TW instead of 200TW), are a couple lbs lighter than some of the other autocross tires, and they'll be good enough to handle a road course (rated to 186+ mph).

The only other performance/competitive tires that come in that size are the Bridgestone RE-71R (currently the #1 autocross tire but wears out extremely quickly) or the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R (I really haven't heard much about the tire but it's 180TW which takes it out of most autocross classes for us who run or will run CAM).

Going to a 245/40/18 will give you twice as many tire options as the 255/40/18. The 275/35/18 will give you about the same amount of tire options but leaning more towards the competitive side of things instead of purely street. So, it really just depends on how you want your car to look and what tires you have available.

I saw my car at the shop on Saturday as they had a small Cars and Coffee and when I saw the 255's up front and out back I said to myself, "Man, I wish I could have 275's on there." For, me they don't look wide enough and I'm not sure the 255's will be able to handle the torque of the 360 that's going in.

Picture of the back of my car at Hotchkis's Cars and Coffee...

Attachments

• 11952957_10153402827790073_4862462273068779985_o.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 688
The 18x10.5 fit surprisingly well with the 275/35/18 on them front and rear. As stated the front fenders were pushed out pneumaticly and the tears were cut then pushed out as well. I fit 315/30/18 on the rear but went back to 275/35/18 to keep a square setup and better Autocross compound tire. The 305/30/19 fit in the back also.

View attachment image.jpg

the 18x10.5 fit surprisingly well with the 275/35/18 on them front and rear. As stated the front fenders were pushed out pneumaticly and the tears were cut then pushed out as well. I fit 315/30/18 on the rear but went back to 275/35/18 to keep a square setup and better autocross compound tire. The 305/30/19 fit in the back also.

-------------gaaaaaay-or queeeeer !

Here are a couple Dusters with 20" wheels, the Orange car use to belong to a member here before he sold it and the other is off of the Pro-Touring Mopars forum.

Attachments

• images 2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 649
  • images.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 615
  • IMAGES 3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 606
  • IMAGES 4.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 615
Here are a couple Dusters with 20" wheels, the Orange car use to belong to a member here before he sold it and the other is off of the Pro-Touring Mopars forum.

That silver one looks great!! The orange one has a bit too much chrome in the wheels for my taste, I like chrome wheels but I don't like too much

I am running Vision torque 143's. The rear's are 18x9.5 with 255-40-18's and the front's are 18x8.5 with 225-45-18's and the tires Nitto Invo's. It's a pretty good combo. It's not super lower, but low enough to look good.

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_195945474_HDR.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_20150710_212139197.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_20150719_202819186_HDR.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 679
RJK3, would you mind sharing all the wheel specs and the tire sizes please? That may have just changed my mind on "big" wheels just a little bit. Also do you have any more pictures directly to the side of the car?

Going through the same stuff. Stock 73 disk up front. Minitubbed and springs relocated rear. Like a wheel with dark or black center with a bright rim to set the tire and wheel off. Having trouble finding a line that is offered in sizes for front and back.

-------------gaaaaaay-or queeeeer !

Typical. You can't make any informed comments because you have no idea what you're talking about, so you're reduced to name calling.

I'm sure someone thinks that about your car too.

Don't mind famous bob. He posts his completely useless opinion in every thread that talks about rims bigger than 15".

The fact that he just said that about Tom's car, which is probably one of the most capable autoX cars on the site, just demonstrates how ridiculously little he knows about doing anything other than driving in a straight line in perfectly dry conditions.

That may have just changed my mind on "big" wheels just a little bit.

If your considering smaller, you could always go with something like I'm running... 17"x7" with 5.125 B.S front and 17"x11" rear with 4.5" B.S. The rear has to come down another inch still and you could take care of the shiny part with some Plasti Dip spray on coating.

Attachments

• DSC00215.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC00225.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC00224.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 597
If your considering smaller, you could always go with something like I'm running... 17"x7" with 5.125 B.S front and 17"x11" rear with 4.5" B.S. The rear has to come down another inch still and you could take care of the shiny part with some Plasti Dip spray on coating.

That is a gorgeous car Ross. Just keeps getting better. :thumbup:

04A6A20D-06C6-4E73-B6D7-B2E82CD7C337_zps68gje7ol.png

3FD1918F-C1C1-42BE-92C1-503D9C55ADAD_zpss2notzro.png

18's with 26.2" tall tire.

If you're going to run 20's, run tall tires (26.5-27.0+"), and make sure the wheel lip tucks in the fenders.

There's some great looking Mopars in this thread. I like big wheels on some cars & stock wheels on others. It's very dependent on the car & the look you're trying to achieve IMO

Here's mine 18x8 fronts -- 18x9.5 rears :D

Attachments

• 11-8-10 Almost Done 069 (Small).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 669

That looks sweat...
Will show this to the kid. He wants a little different style wheel. What brand are these wheels?

There's some great looking Mopars in this thread. I like big wheels on some cars & stock wheels on others. It's very dependent on the car & the look you're trying to achieve IMO

Here's mine 18x8 fronts -- 18x9.5 rears :D

Like this also. Especially the wheel. Just have room for a lot more rear tire.

The wheel size 17"-20" really isn't as important as the stance of the car once finished, you just can't slap on set of off the shelf wheels and hope for the best. In my opinion the car has to be low...and the tires and possibly some wheel has to be tucked up inside the fender. unfortunately 73'+ front suspension has a wider track, I would invest in a wheel measurement tool and have the wheels you want built (if it's within your budget) to get the correct stance.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 585
  • 760-01201chartsmall.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 585
That looks sweat...
Will show this to the kid. He wants a little different style wheel. What brand are these wheels?

Billet Specialties SLG 60 front and there recently discontinued Rallye in the rear. I couldn't get the Rallye with the correct Backspacing I needed for the front, so the suggested the SLG 60 "Soft lip" same center pattern design but I could get the required Backspacing needed (5.125")to set the car low and still turn with no issues, I'm also running a HDK K frame to "suck" the wheels in. The tires are 26.5" front and 29" rear

-
Back