Pics of the new 340.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Picked it up yesterday and had to clean and oaint it right away :wink:

Heres a before shot. Red with blue valve covers :shock:

340ondyno.gif

looks beutifull! i like that custom touch you got with the orange thermostat housing on an aluminum intake manifold!

Thanks. I hate those chrome leakers. I also was tired of the same black Mopar valve covers on every motor so I did the Hemi orange also.

And whats wrong with the mopar blue anodized valve covers.... I had to search high and low to find mine since they dont make them anymore.... I'd rathe rof had some Direct Connection ones but hey

Mike its a Proform body and metering blocks. Dwayne had to put the metering blocks on it after the A/F went high 19s on the dyno with the old 650 blocks.

71Blueduster. Its nothing fancy, good machine work, good heads, big cam and moderate compression. It made 478horse @ 6900rpms and 410ftlbs @ 5200rpms. Average horse power was 440 and average torque was 398.

Engine
* 1973 340 block
* decked to +.020 deck height(pistons above deck)
* bored .030 over
* Ross flat tops with max weight removal option*** and .927 pin bores
* B&B tool steel wrist pins, 2.500 X .927 X .090 wall(piston and pin 525g)
* OE rods bushed to .927, fully polished, resized, lightened, ARP bolts
* OE steel crank( reground, strokes equalized, indexed)
* Milodon deep pan
* Melling oil pump
* double roller timing set
* Crower 262/265 @ .050, .575/.585 solid lifter cam
* Crower lifters
* ported 587 heads with MP 2.02/1.60 valves, milled for true 11:1 CR
* bronze guides and hardened exhaust seats
* Crower dual springs
* Comp 10deg retainers and machined locks
* Edelbrock Victor intake, gasket matched, mild plenum mods
*HVH 1" spacer
*Profrom 750
* Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers and HD thick wall shafts
* Crane pushrods
* MP moly coated fuel pump eccentric
* MP OEM replacement 340 damper

71Duster. I think the valve covers would have looked fine on a blue motor. Just didnt look right on the red one. Also they are Moroso not Mopar Valve covers.

Looks good Adam. At least you are making some progress. My stroker is still wrapped in the plastic that I brought it home from the machine shop in. :(

Thanks guys, Now I have some prep work to do in the engine bay. I have it all stripped down, I need to pick up a small sand blaster and get it primed.

I also got the suspension detailed witch Im shore will be covered by over spray by the time the engine bay is painted.

IM000611.gif

IM000619.gif

Heres the color I'm going to paint the car. Its 04 PT Cruiser Tangerine Pearl Coat.

TangerinePearlcoat.gif

Looks like we both have the same ideas Adam.... as far as where the project is headed. Got the 340 out today and on a stand tranny is sitting on the bench gotta get my engine bay cleaned up as good as yours next and strip down to a bare block so it can head out to the machine shop.

Thats not my engine compartment, just the color I'm going to use.

More progress pictures.

Front of the radiator support Primed, You can also see the back side of the header panel in primer in front of the car.

IM000634.gif

Radiator support blacked out.

IM000635.gif

Header panel back on, I blacked out the backside of it to hide the over spray from bolth the origanal paint and the repaint (2 colors)

IM000640.gif

Now I have to mask all of it off so It doesnt get any over spray on it.

You sure didn't waste any time painting that puppy. With that type of motivation, i'm surprised you didn't start cleaning it while it was still on the trailer on the way back

Adam,
that 340 is looking good.very nice #'s from the dyno.I love that Tangerine Pearl.I was going to paint my 67 cuda ragtop that color with white interior.Too bad I got laid off & had to sell it.

jloshotz said:
You sure didn't waste any time painting that puppy. With that type of motivation, i'm surprised you didn't start cleaning it while it was still on the trailer on the way back

best way to complete a car project is just Dig in and get it done.

Looks to me like your moving along real good.

-
Back