Pictures of 68 barracuda SB power steering pump

-

My68FormulaS

Reaction score
I have a 68 Formula S-340 Barracuda. The power steering pump on my car has an offset angle with the belt pulley on the car. It is a AC/PS car and I am trying to see if the wrong power steering pump is in the car or the wrong pulley on the pump itself. I understand there were two different models of pumps, but not sure what is different between the two, as far as dimensions.

Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Was the water pump changed from original cast iron to later model aluminum ?
That will cause the problem you have. My best guess

The water pump appears to be stock type. The Alternator and AC line up with crank pulley, but the power steering pulley seems to be about a 1/4 -1/2 inch to far forward, so the belt runs on an angle. Nothing about the power steering looks off. It looks to be a Saganaw and the belt runs between the Alternator Belt and the AC Belt on the crank pulley.

Are there different pulley's for the small block power steering pumps?

You are best to post pics of your issues. Make solving this problem a hell of a lot easier....for me anyway LOL

Saginaw pump has an oval shaped filler neck. The Federal pump has a round filler neck.

Here are pictures of the different brackets and pulleys for either.
[ame]http://downloads.classicindustries.com/Catalogs/mopar/mopar_sec_i.pdf[/ame]

[/attach][/attach]

I bought this 67 Barracuda mainly because everything looked very original -- except for the 318 engine (but that's another story). The pump on this car is a Cardone 20-6115. I can't remember if it's a TRW or Federal pump (they're very similar). I don't believe I've seen the Saginaw type pump on this vintage of Barracuda.

The 3 brackets on top are what I had to remove to get the pump off. The idler pulley is for the A/C compressor, but there were no A/C belts when I bought it because the compressor didn't work.

I have to take pictures of these things because my short term memory isn't very good. The pump has been rebuilt, but I haven't re-installed it yet. So I can't tell you if the pulleys align very well -- they often don't.

So if your 68 is similar to the 67, these should help.

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1202.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 140
I thought I had a picture of it, but I don't. It is at the shop getting some front end work done. I will send a picture of it later today or tomorrow. Thanks

I just checked the Cardone catalog which lists the original PS pump on just about every car. The PDF of this book can be downloaded. The 20-6115 pump was used on 67 and 68 Barracudas. However, starting in 1969, many cars were furnished with Saginaw pumps. So your original pump was probably just like mine.

This has been very helpful. I still haven't been able to get more pics, as the I am having front end work finished, and it was up on the lift the last time I saw it. Your picture of the pump and bracket looks just like mine. I am just not sure of the distance on the pulley from the pump itself.

View attachment 504.jpg

This is my rebuilt pump. Here is the distance from the centerline of bracket hole to the edge of the pulley. Another way to check is the PS pump shaft end should be flush with the adjacent pulley hub.

However, I encountered a similar issue a year ago on my 64 Sport Fury. As I looked at the alignment of the driver and driven pulleys, I could see they weren't aligned. The PS pump pulley needed to be about 3/16" more forward towards the radiator. So I called Cardone and ask if they would mount the pulley in a more forward location when they would rebuild the pump. The guy said, "no way -- they will only rebuild the pump to factory specs."

Of course the PS pump brackets don't allow adjustment from front to back. I think some misalignment is fairly normal. This isn't ideal for the v-belt or the pump, but the belt does the best it can.

I hope this answered your question.

-
Back