Pilot bearing

-
Bushings have more surface area and don't come apart.

Has anyone use pilot bearing (instead of bushing) with 833 overdrive? How reliable is it?

Over the years I have used needle bearing style and bronze bushing style both and the bronze always outlasted the bearing style.
You get lucky sometimes and the needle style work for a long time, but a good lube on a bronze just can't be beat for reliability.
Bronze is also less likely to trash the input shaft, where a bad needle can tear it up quick.

inside tranny has a gear lube bath, pilot bearing not
Pilot bearing was per-lubricated. They made pilot bearing in 2000-up, at least they expect it last for acceptable years?

bca-fc69907_ml.jpg

In this theory, how should we explain why they use rolller bearing in cluster-gear, instead of bushing?

It's not a theory. A bushing has more surface area. Period.

I installed a BB in mine in 1999, and it's still in there. But I kinda got lazy and left the new pilot bushing in the crank. So which of those has been doing all the work for the past 100,000plus miles is anybodies guess.....
But I'm pretty sure I woulda had to replace the pilot bushing at least once, and maybe twice, in that mileage, without the BB in there.This is a guess based on past experience.

When I did fleet work for sara lee the bread trucks were all eather borg warner T-19 4-speeds or nv4500 5-speed's. Almost everyone of them that i changed a clutch in also needed an input shaft due to the roller bearing pilot bearing grenading & trashing the otherwise ok input shaft. Every time I made sure a bushing went back in. There were higher milage step van's with n/a 6.5 diesels & im sure those guys kept there foot on clutch @ stop light. No probloms aftrr that. So im a fan of bushings hands down. Rollers don't like any knd of misaligment bushing's are far more forgiving there.

Last edited:
When I did fleet work for sara lee the bread trucks were all eather borg warner T-19 4-speeds or nv4500 5-speed's. Almost everyone of them that i changed a clutch in also needed an input shaft due to the roller bearing pilot bearing grenading & trashing the otherwise ok input shaft. Every time I made sure a bushing went back in. There were higher milage step van's with n/a 6.5 diesels & im sure those guys kept there foot on clutch @ stop light. No probloms aftrr that. So im a fan of bushings hands down. Rollers don't like any knd of misaligment bushing's are far more forgiving there.

Good real world info. Thamks.

-
Back