Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend has a set of 71 E Body spindles that take the pin style calipers. It's a complete set-up with calipers, rotors, all hardware, etc. and he's willing to let me have everything at a great price. I personally have several sets of 73-76 A body-style brakes. Which would you use and why?

I have both, pin type on my bbody and slider on the Dart.

The slider type pads are cheaper for basic pads but you can nore easily get them in different materials. I do find they can be noisier though, sometimes squeeling and rattling when on bumpy roads. The pin type on the Bbody have never squeeked and never have I heard them rattling around on bumpy loads hoever, they are more expensive and a little hader to find and good luck getting them in better materials... at least here in Canada.

Others may have more pros + cons to each

So... I'm not going to vote either way because I'm in the middle about them, both are way better than front drum IMO

I have pin types on my Challenger and sliders on my Duster, both are on 11 3/4" rotors.

I have heard that the road race guys prefer sliders because they're sturdier and none on the components flex, which I suppose could come into play with the pin type. But I've never noticed a difference in functionality. I can't imagine there would be much, if any, difference.

One advantage of the pin style is that the caliper brackets don't have any wearing surfaces, the pins are the wearing part and they're replaceable. On the sliders, the caliper bracket has the wearing surface so if the brakes are old the sliding surface can get worn or damaged. Less of an issue now that Dr. Diff sells slider brackets.

Pads are easier to find for the slider types, as already pointed out.

I must say that I do not understand why the calipers don't explode right off the brackets on the A body brakes. Those retainers don't look anywhere near heavy enough to me!!!

I must say that I do not understand why the calipers don't explode right off the brackets on the A body brakes. Those retainers don't look anywhere near heavy enough to me!!!

The retainers just keep the calipers from falling off when the brakes aren't being applied. When applied, the rotational force of the rotor pushes the caliper into the groove on the leading side of the caliper bracket, and the force is carried in that groove.

Which is also why the sliders are supposedly stronger, because that force is carried by the pins on the pin type brakes.

I've been told that someone watched the calipers flex and move on a pin-style setup while someone else was pushing the pedal down while the car was on jack stands. Can't confirm it, though, never done a "test" of my own.

I think the sliders have the additional problem of the pads binding in the adapter, while the pin ones don't. This can be fixed by making sure they aren't too wide, so it's more just an issue if you don't check them and run them hard.

I've never seen either style caliper fall off.

The sliders on my '73 sure sounded like they where loose enough to drop off any time.
Every once in a while I would rebend the tabs to give them some more preload on the calipers, but after soo many miles they probably lost strength and it started to sound like a swaybar or strutrod-bushing had failed.

That's why new hardware kits are made.

The sliders on my '73 sure sounded like they where loose enough to drop off any time.
Every once in a while I would rebend the tabs to give them some more preload on the calipers, but after soo many miles they probably lost strength and it started to sound like a swaybar or strutrod-bushing had failed.

That's why new hardware kits are made.

Sounds like you didn't install the little rubber bands in the hardware kit, those are nice for quieting down the slider type brakes. New hardware kits are a good thing.

But, if the caliper bracket channels that the calipers slide in are worn or pitted that can cause similar symptoms as well. Only way to fix that is to weld them up and file them smooth again (PITA), or buy new caliper brackets.

If the caliper brackets are worn or pitted, that means they were never lubed to begin with. Usually, it is always operator error.

-
Back