Pinging???? maybe...

-

74Dart318

Reaction score
So my car is making a funny sound at lower rpms while driving. My dad thinks it is pinging. I do not know what pinging sounds like so I do not know. Is this more of a timing issue??
thanks

Well will the idle being set too lean make this happen? I use 91 octane always so I do not think it is the gas

no it wouldn't be the idles circut. it would be in the primary of the carb if its down low. even with 91 maybe you got a bad batch. i had a bad batch a few months ago. car was pinging big time. hasn't done it since and i have put a couple thousand miles on the car since then.

whats the timing and timing curve like?

I have and I was planning on doing it again. The last time the timing was done was by the shop i took it to

Ill check it tonight and post it. It is a 318 with 172000 miles. EB intake and EB 650 cfm carb. Hooker headers, Flowmaster 2.5" with H pipe exhaust. And a rebuilt 727 with a shift kit.
Thanks for the help

Back off the timing a tad bit and see if it helps. At least that will tell you if your chasing the right thing.

So we set the timing at about 5 degrees advanced. I think it was more like 8 degrees before. I did not hear the pinging on the little test drive we did. Tomorrow I will see if it comes back on my trip to work and back.

whats ur total timming? I dont see how a 318 with 91 is pinging

you rev them motor to like 3k and move the dial on thetimming light till the 0 on the balancer is 0 on the timming cover and what ever number the pointer it on when the balancer is on 0 thats adavance, i forgot how to check total

I have a pretty bad leak. A lot better than it used to be. Been chasing the oil leaks down one at a time lol

-
Back