pinion angle question again

-

terry

Reaction score
ok folks i'll try and explain my spec.'s and tell me what you think.
putting a cheap harbor freight degree finder on the flat spot of the rear end yoke with it being parallel with the floor 1/2 tank of gas and driver in the car i get a 7 degree reading. when i mount the fixture on the input yoke for the trans i get 2 degree's. now both reading are on the same side of the dial so i can't say positive or negitve for either reading. so i have a total of 9 degree's between the 2 readings. am i in the ball park or do i need shim's to help for a better setting
thanks
terry

Depends on your set up Caltracs, mono leafs? SS Springs & Pinion Snubber etc?

More information needed

If this is a regular leaf spring set up,a 4-6 degree down on the pinion is normal,under load it will come up a bit and straighten out the drive line,set it to 5 degrees and you good,mrmopartech

ok let me add this info
leaf springs super stock type,pinion snubber set at 1/2 from floor.
now when i look at the third member is is angle facing up towards the floorboard. so if i understand mrmopartech i need to put shims in to point the rear end yoke more towards the floor?
terry

Mopar Performance suspension book says 5-7 degrees "nose down" which means the front of the pinion points down in relation to the driveshaft. You've got 5 degrees. Right on the money.

Is the tailshaft point down or up
Pinion pointing down or up.

If the tailshaft is down 2* you need the pinion to be up 2* to be at zero. Then roll it down 4-6 degrees so it ends up being anywhere form 2 to 4* pointing down.

The way it sounds currently you have a +5 angle, VERY BAD.

Is the tailshaft point down or up
Pinion pointing down or up.

If the tailshaft is down 2* you need the pinion to be up 2* to be at zero. Then roll it down 4-6 degrees so it ends up being anywhere form 2 to 4* pointing down.

The way it sounds currently you have a +5 angle, VERY BAD.

Same scenario with Caltracs & No Pinion Snubber would be?? Would the Caltracs need to be loaded against the spring or should there be a little gap before they HIT?

Thanks Rob!

Same scenario with Caltracs & No Pinion Snubber would be?? Would the Caltracs need to be loaded against the spring or should there be a little gap before they HIT?

Thanks Rob!

Separate deals. Pinion angle and preload are set individually with cal tracs.

I'd set the pinion at -4 and then have the drivers side bar just touching and the pass side touch plus 2-3 flats. Flats being the flat side of the adjusting nuts. That's a decent starting point.

There are situation where you want no preload in the pass bar at all and a slight air gap on drivers, don't think your Dart fits that group.

Rancho shocks, put drivers at 5 and pass at 7.

The part nobody pays attention to, most of hooking a car is forward of the rear spring front mounts.

Separate deals. Pinion angle and preload are set individually with cal tracs.

I'd set the pinion at -4 and then have the drivers side bar just touching and the pass side touch plus 2-3 flats. Flats being the flat side of the adjusting nuts. That's a decent starting point.

There are situation where you want no preload in the pass bar at all and a slight air gap on drivers, don't think your Dart fits that group.

Rancho shocks, put drivers at 5 and pass at 7.

The part nobody pays attention to, most of hooking a car is forward of the rear spring front mounts.

Are you referring to Torque Boxes both front and rear, Sub-frame connectors etc?

yes crackedback,
my tail shaft yoke is pointing down 2 degree's and the pinion yoke is pointing up 6 degree's. so what do i do to fix it? add 4 degree shims to the rear?
terry

You need to cut the perches and reset them.

Read my first response that has your answer.

yes crackedback,
my tail shaft yoke is pointing down 2 degree's and the pinion yoke is pointing up 6 degree's. so what do i do to fix it? add 4 degree shims to the rear?
terry

You will need to bring it down 8-10*, you will not be able to fix that with a shim! The biggest shim I have found is a 6* and you will loose almost the whole centering pin in the leafs using it. Don't ask me how I know this.

ok mad dart i will not ask.
but now let me throw in a question to you that with what i did may affect the angle
i have a 68 barracuda with 275 x 70 x 15 rear tire. this size did fill my wheel well and looks good. but the front of the tire was about 3/8 from the wheel well so i figured i could just pull the rear end back about an 1/2 inch by drilling a new hole in the spring perch and resetting the rear on the stud in the new hole. its been a couple of years now and all seems to work except a vibration in the body which brought me to the pinion question.
thanks
terry

As Crackedback said -4 down,your gonna have to remove the perches and reweld them with the center pointing down -4.I,m just rewelding mine now as the welds letgo.So back to work for me.LOL
Racing the 66 Dart 017.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 017.jpg

-
Back