pinion angle question??

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
i have just removed my rear slide a link bars off my duster,as well as the stock leaf springs.i took the super stock springs out of my cruiser and installed them into my drag duster.i am going to move the top of the rear shakle forward to move the rear bottom shakle straight back to give more drop in suspension when torque applied.my pinion angle right now is 0.i need 5-7 degrees down on angle.what size shim will accomplish this.does a 2* wedge change it only 2* or does it change it more at the pinion.this is my concern.do i need a 2 or 4 on the shim.any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks

The degree of change is controlled by the shim thicknes. SO a 2° change is still 2°. But, the change in say snubber distance to floor can be dramatic. There, 2° shims may lower the snubber 3/4".

moper said:
The degree of change is controlled by the shim thicknes. SO a 2° change is still 2°. But, the change in say snubber distance to floor can be dramatic. There, 2° shims may lower the snubber 3/4".
Very well explained Moper, Yeah what he said, with that said there is no way I would exceed 4* with shim in drag car. If you want more you should reweld the spring perchs on housing.

9secSmallBlock said:
there is no way I would exceed 4* with shim in drag car. If you want more you should reweld the spring perchs on housing.

I agree :thumbup:

How did you arrive at the 0 degree angle? Is that the angle from the ground or the driveline? If it is from the driveline then I agree on the solutions that the other guys suggested. If this is the angle from the ground then this is not were you measure the u joint angle and you need to measure the angle from the pinion centerline to the driveline centerline. Being you did not say one way or the other it needs to be mentioned.

Chuck

i hung a degree measurer off the bottom of the driveshaft-at the rear ujoint it measured 0 degrees then i sat it on top of where the snubber bolts.it also measured 0.am i doing this right.i bought 4 deg.wedges today to run.i was getting new centerbolts for my spring packs and the local machine shop/welder is going to add the wedge thinckenss to the pins so they will be securely in the pad of the axle.he said he would do it for $5.so i can't do it myself for that.according to my dads old blue mopar connections book(mopar bible he calls it)it says i need between 5 and 7 degrees down angle on the pinion w/the superstock springs.so i am hoping the 4 deg.shim will do the trick.thanks guys for all the info...keep it coming.i am starting on it this weekend when i can go to the farm next to work..

i am running the super comp 1 3/4 primary sb hedders.the hedders are 2 1/2-3 inches off the ground
do u think the 4 degree will work ok?and is that the right thing to do by extending the center bolt longer to get fully into the axle due to the extra thickness of the wedge?

74360duster said:
i am running the super comp 1 3/4 primary sb hedders.the hedders are 2 1/2-3 inches off the ground
do u think the 4 degree will work ok?and is that the right thing to do by extending the center bolt longer to get fully into the axle due to the extra thickness of the wedge?
I am no expert but I do know your angle from drive shaft to pinion is what matters.

-
Back