pinion help

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
could someone point me in the right way with this pinion angel thing..i took some measurements of my angle and from what i see i dont think its right ....off the trans i have 4 and and off the rearend ( on top where the snubber bolts to ) i have 3 thats with 5 deg. shims that tilt the rearend down.....the way i see it is i have 1 up when added(am i right) im a little confused on this now and i thought i knew it a little better.i know something is not right i can here this thing spinning the tire with a 1.91/1.70/1.71 60' with a 28/10.5 slick track my not be the best but it has been 1.66 and went 7.44..(should i remove the drive shaft and take the reading fron the front of the rearend)

trans up 4* you need the pinion down 4* to be at zero, then roll it down some more.

Agree, about 3* down. Why does a keyboard have symbols that no one will ever use, but no degree symbol?

okay i have been reading and looking all over the place and still came out conf...now my ?? to help me clear my mind on this is my trans is at 4 on the finder and rear is at 3 on the finder when i cut the perchs off i need to roll it down to 4 and then about 2/3 more???i know i may sound dumb but would like to get it right the 1st time...also from a little help from another site i was told to just nubolt back of springs and allow the rear to come down then cut them of and clean up spots on houseing..then put the springs back up in the back with the new perchs take my measurement and tack.....hows this sound to you guys......also i took my measurements with driver in the seat...

Sounds to me like 3* down would be O.K.Do you have any extra clamps on the front of your spring?This may help with your traction issues!:read2:

yes factory and mp clamps....none on the back and no snubber with 5 deg. of shims init now.....

Sounds like you need the pinion to be 6-9*, for a 2-5* down angle in relation to the output shaft

Car sitting on all four wheels? And leveled on the floor?. Take a cheap Harbor or whatever- on the back of the trans, bypassing the seal. Vertical. Get a plus or minus reading. Then turn the rear pinion straight up, at the u-bolt flange.take a reading. Plus(up) or minus.
Then take the trans, which usually down; let's say 2 degrees. Then if the pinion/u-joint flange is down 3 degrees, then you have 5 degrees down.
If the trans is up 2 degrees, and pinion down 3 degrees, then you have (plus 2, minus 3= +1) It is hard to explain.
Tran down 2, pinion down 2= 4 down. etc. I ain't a good explainer.

Let me try again.
Put the degree wheel on the back of the tailshaft, not hitting the seal/boot. then turn the rear yoke straight up and down and put degree finder on the flanges that u-joint bolts into.
The suspension has to be loaded, on the ground, or jacked up to the point of pushing the frame off the jackstands. Both ends.

yea i see your point there crackback with the shim....i think im just going to take the shim out and get me a new reading.....thanks

-
Back